A place to discuss other games such as World of Warcraft, BF2 or Red Orchestra
Rigges
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Portal 2 Baby !!!!

Post by Rigges » Sat May 07, 2011 7:47 am

Um do we (the Ville) have a Portal Steam Group yet? as I can not find Friends to play Portal Coop with.
Yes I am the one who Shot the Smiley Face Target for the Lethal Weapon Movie
RIP Winnie White Sister In-law 1952 - April 22 2010 58
Norma L. White Mother 20 Dec 1930 to 27 Aug 2011 81

Lucille C. Brueshaber Mother In Law 11 July 1922 to 13 Dec 2011 89
Mrs Rigges is very sad

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Sat May 07, 2011 4:43 pm

If you look at Portal 2 in the Steam store it will show which friends own the game.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Tue May 10, 2011 12:34 am

My friend and I are finally nearing the end of our co-op run (he doesn't have a lot of gaming time lately). We just finished chamber 5-6, and we both thought it was awesome. Any of those people who complain that "all you have to do is find the white square, therefore the puzzles are too easy" has obviously never played that level. :P There are only a few small squares on which to put portals, yet it was still immensely challenging, but in a fun way, which is hard to pull off. Valve knew what they were doing with this game. :clap:

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Tue May 10, 2011 7:42 pm

Beta version of the authoring tools is out now. Currently downloading, can't wait to play around with Hammer! :D

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Tue May 10, 2011 8:02 pm

Gonna be great to start playing custom maps!

Rigges
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Rigges » Wed May 11, 2011 10:47 am

BigBiker05 wrote:Gonna be great to start playing custom maps!
YES IT WILL BE i HAVE DOWN LOADED SOME BUT CAN NOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO PLACE THEM OR USE THEM IN portal 2

(Arrgg Stupid Cap Lock button)

So any one have any Info on how to load custom maps for Portal they come on a Rar file I tried to open the file and place the items but they do not seem to match any thing in Portals map folder and double clicking doesn't help either so any one have the scoop Let me Know please.

Thanks

OH I really Like the ending and closing credits to the Coop awsome
Yes I am the one who Shot the Smiley Face Target for the Lethal Weapon Movie
RIP Winnie White Sister In-law 1952 - April 22 2010 58
Norma L. White Mother 20 Dec 1930 to 27 Aug 2011 81

Lucille C. Brueshaber Mother In Law 11 July 1922 to 13 Dec 2011 89
Mrs Rigges is very sad

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Thu May 12, 2011 10:27 pm

I've almost finished building my first fully-playable Portal 2 map! :dance:

You can see some screenshots here, for anyone interested...
Gonna fix the lighting to be brighter.

I had a little bit of experience before, but thanks to the Portal 2 SDK I've learned about a lot of features I never knew existed (not just new ones either). Thankfully Portal 2 seems to be a lot more user-friendly than other games in terms of level creation - a lot of test elements (excursion funnel, hard light bridge, thermal discouragement beam) are their own entity types, so there's minimal configuration to do beyond plopping it into the map. Of course there's still a lot of programming-type stuff to do to make things interact, e.g. making a button control a cube dropper that fizzles any active cubes (cube droppers are, by the way, a lot harder to build that they look :(), so it's not something you can just open up without any idea what you're doing and go about building a complex working map; but it's still an improvement over the SDK for, say, TF2. It's entirely possible to learn it if you sit down, stick with it for a while, and keep checking the Valve Developer Wiki, which has a lot of Portal 2-related tutorials now.

I'm glad Valve included so many "instance" files for this game. They basically replace prefabs in their function (providing a pre-built level element for use in your map). Very handy in building complex stuff, even if the inability to edit them individually is annoying (but that's when you just copy-paste them from their .vmf instead! :P).

regis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by regis » Tue May 17, 2011 8:54 am

Finally now that PSN is back up, I was able to activate the PC code that I got with my PS3 copy.
Hit me up for some co-op.

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Wed May 18, 2011 12:16 pm

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Thu May 19, 2011 1:16 pm

Game gets popular, person tries to become famous by claiming it is "bad." That's how the world works nowadays. :\
Although I do have to admit that there may be a little bit of credence to this one. I can easily picture GLaDOS' insults seeming way out-of-line for some people. Imagine if you knew you really HAD been abandoned at birth, and were really sensitive about it, and then you play this game and find a computer taunting you about how your birth parents that you're spending your whole life trying to track down never actually loved you ... yeah, doesn't sound like a good experience to me. :(

-----

I think I've found definitive proof that the "9,999,999" announcement in the relaxation chamber at the start of the game is in fact a malfunction, and not actually an indication that Chell was in suspension for 27,000 years:

If you listen to the plain audio file for the announcement that greets you when you wake up for the second time, the 9's do not stop when the main voice comes back on, but continue through the entire message, although at a volume low enough that you can't hear them in-game due to Wheatley's talking and the music/SFX in the scene, but they're audible in the raw file. It ends up with a total of fifty-five 9's. That's 9,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999 days, and I think it would have kept going if the audio file hadn't abruptly ended with the end of the "This courtesy call..." announcement.

The machine's clearly on the fritz. :P It's a good thing IMO, 27,000 years seems like it tosses almost any possibility for suspension of disbelief right out the window. Nothing on Earth would survive that long and still be recognizable, let alone in the condition Aperture Science was in when you woke up. I'm still inclined to believe Valve's original statement of a couple hundred years.

CastleDoctrine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by CastleDoctrine » Sun May 22, 2011 2:29 am

Fail parent: "I didn't know what to do. I still don't know what to do."
VIEW CONTENT:

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Sun May 22, 2011 5:16 am

I'm feel pretty disappointed that I still don't have my TF2 hats in portal. Glancing in the steam forums lots of other people are having the problem yet with the handful of patches so and weeks since, there has been no fix or even a response.

Peahats
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Peahats » Sun May 22, 2011 7:35 am

Stevo wrote:http://www.gamerevolution.com/manifesto ... tal-2-5755

What a horrible game... :doh:
So they get upset at this part, where the next line is GlaDos saying "there's nothing wrong with being adopted, and look at her, she's not fat."

and they did not get upset about this part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygsyXkW-bCM

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Minecraft name: Supreveio
Blizzard tag: Supreveio#1728

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Supreveio » Wed May 25, 2011 12:55 pm

On a lighter note, Valve recently posted Volume 1 the OST on the ThinkWithPortals Blog.

http://www.thinkwithportals.com/music.php
"So what have you been up to, man? Haven't seen you in so long!"
"Ah, you know how it is. Doin' a lot of side projects, some consulting, maybe a little freelance... Those are words that people say when they haven't actually been doing anything, right?"

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Wed May 25, 2011 7:37 pm

That's awesome. Listening now, and there's some great stuff in here - a few tracks that can be found in the game files, but because the game often layers multiple audio files to "build" the songs you hear, this set makes for much better listening.

"The Courtesy Call" is quite possibly the greatest thing ever. :D (It's the container ride BGM from the intro.) So much stuff you'd never be able to hear in-game.

Now comes the long, painful wait for however many other "volumes" Valve will be releasing...