BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Portal 2 Baby !!!!

Post by BigBiker05 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:06 am

Just finished single player. It was hard to predict the ending, every corner brought a new chapter. Have at it guys!

Also, PM me any time this week for co-op!

Yahoo!!
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Yahoo!! » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:22 pm

Hang on, this isn't real is it? I just want to know if someone just photoshopped this as a joke.

I haven't bought Portal 2, but they seriously haven't just released a store to buy in-game things to a brand new game?

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:24 pm

Yes, it's real...

Yahoo!!
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Yahoo!! » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:39 pm

Stevo wrote:Yes, it's real...
Well, I must admit it is disheartening. I hope the customizations stay consistent with the artistic direction of the game and do not impact gameplay. However, I will read more information on both the game and its extra stuff before I pass judgment.

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:46 pm

Oh, nice reference to Atlas Shrugged.

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:51 pm

I am slightly displeased, mainly due to the fact that consoles got some gestures free and there are gesture related achievements.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:58 pm

One_Medic_Army wrote:I am slightly displeased, mainly due to the fact that consoles got some gestures free and there are gesture related achievements.
Well, achievements mean a lot to people on Xbox 360 and PS3 because of the points and trophies behind them.
However, achievements on Steam mean nothing; besides from the feeling of achievement for unlocking one, there's nothing more to it.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:03 pm

Achievements give me reason to play beyond just beating it, I played through Half-Life 2 and it's episodes when they released the achievements just because they were there (and I succeeded in getting 'The One Free Bullet' in Episode 1, felt very proud of myself).

As for the gesture achievements, there's 8 you'll earn just by playing through Co-op, those 8 are all you need for the achievements as many don't require specific gestures and NONE require purchased gestures. As co-op goes on, you get these: Wave, Dance, Laugh, Rock-paper-scissors, hug, some weird stylized portal shot, something to do with harassing your partner, and something else, but you get them all just for playing through.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Marf
Villun
Villun
Minecraft name: MasterMarf

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Marf » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:13 pm

Anyone glitch at the end? If you've finished Portal 2 single-player or have a game-stopping glitch near the end, read on... SPOILERS!
VIEW CONTENT:
When the boss battle starts, the bomb shield plates float way out, and it doesn't throw any bombs. So I can't break the obvious pipe with the white paint in it. I just run around or I can even stand still until the neurotoxin kills me. (I thought I severed the neurotoxin generator a while back anyway?) I watched the first minute of the battle on YouTube to make sure I was glitched, and indeed I am. The bomb shield plates did not float out in the video like they do in my game.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:34 pm

Played just a bit last night before going to bed, due to class in the morning. Beautifully designed game, fairly intuitive, and runs smoothly. Definitely an advantage to be had from playing the original Portal, but designed well so it's unnecessary. I emphatically love the intro.

It does have a disconcerting number of load screens. I'm running a stupidly powerful system for a game of this nature (i7 950, 24gb DDR3, GTX 470), and it's still broken up enough by loading screens to annoy me. I can only imagine the loading times are longer on slower comps. I don't think I'm bothered by the loading time, though, as much as by the black Aperture Science screen. The loading screen is what's creating the sense of a break or pause. If it simply kept the elevator animation going, or loaded with the screen unmoving but still in the world, I wouldn't feel as put-off by it. It's a break in the immersion in its current fashion.

Looking forward to playing some more.
-Boss Llama

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:38 pm

Yeah, I already joked around with the game being called Load Screen 2. It lessens near the end of the game but jeesh, come on valve. You do a 10 seconds puzzle and have a load screen.

Anyways, the game is beautiful however I do not feel the puzzles were as challenging as the first one. I do like some of the new features though, gives it a nice twitch. It does seem co-op is gonna give us the real challenges and I'm hoping we get free DLC for more single puzzles like in Portal 2.

There are also many know bugs/glitches that can be found in the valve forum such as the one Marf posted. Just beware that some of the glitch reports can give spoilers.

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:25 pm

Played it, finished it, loved it.
Though to be fair, I was hoping for some harder puzzles/puzzles with more elements.
Rarely were there even three different elements to use in one puzzle (3 types of goo for instance).
I can understand why white goo is rarely used, but I'd love some blue/red goo in with an extrusion funnel, faith plates, and thermal beam redirection.
Most of the puzzles felt mainly like trying to find the next white spot of wall to portal to.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:31 pm

So is Portal 2 six hours long like the first one?

Araris
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Araris » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:38 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:Played just a bit last night before going to bed, due to class in the morning. Beautifully designed game, fairly intuitive, and runs smoothly. Definitely an advantage to be had from playing the original Portal, but designed well so it's unnecessary. I emphatically love the intro.

It does have a disconcerting number of load screens. I'm running a stupidly powerful system for a game of this nature (i7 950, 24gb DDR3, GTX 470), and it's still broken up enough by loading screens to annoy me. I can only imagine the loading times are longer on slower comps. I don't think I'm bothered by the loading time, though, as much as by the black Aperture Science screen. The loading screen is what's creating the sense of a break or pause. If it simply kept the elevator animation going, or loaded with the screen unmoving but still in the world, I wouldn't feel as put-off by it. It's a break in the immersion in its current fashion.

Looking forward to playing some more.
It's not the comp hardware that you listed, I tested on two computers. My main tower has 1/2 second load screens due to a Solid State Drive, my 2ndary is 4-5 seconds with a normal hard drive. Stupid hard drives.

Marf
Villun
Villun
Minecraft name: MasterMarf

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Marf » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:57 pm

I started a new game from the beginning of the chapter, and no glitch this time. So I finished it.
One_Medic_Army wrote:Played it, finished it, loved it.
Though to be fair, I was hoping for some harder puzzles/puzzles with more elements.
Rarely were there even three different elements to use in one puzzle (3 types of goo for instance).
I can understand why white goo is rarely used, but I'd love some blue/red goo in with an extrusion funnel, faith plates, and thermal beam redirection.
Most of the puzzles felt mainly like trying to find the next white spot of wall to portal to.
Yeah. I loved the game, but I wanted something a little more involved and harder. I felt like it was holding my hand through the entire game. I understand in some of the areas they had to have very few portal surfaces just so you don't end up getting somewhere unintentional. But it ended up being "Look for the only white spot and put a portal there."

Maybe it's just because I've played through the first one so many times, and made a custom map for it... But my biggest complaint with Portal 2 (single-player anyway) is that it's too easy. My second biggest complaint is that the cursor/crosshairs don't indicate a portal-able surface anymore.