Why is transfering removed now?

A forum dedicated to the open-world survival game ARK: Survival Evolved
tntj3tfire
Villun
Villun
Minecraft name: tntj3tfireTTV

Why is transfering removed now?

Post by tntj3tfire » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:34 pm

like now we have no reason to stay without transfering, like im genually upset due to there was no talks to the community about it, the server rests daily which is nice, but without warning and sets us back hrs, maybe even days, what reason do we have to stay if the admins dont even consult their players or community about topic that affect us, im gtenually upset and would like to have a conversation about it via discord to see what was going thru your heads when making this bold and rash decison. im availabe on discord at TNTJ3TFIRE#9391

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Why is transfering removed now?

Post by Flash » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:36 am

Hey TNT,

Ark is a new server for us here at The Ville. We're still figuring things out and dialing in settings.

As you pointed out in the other thread, folks were transferring in items and Dinos that shouldn't be available on The Island. Our server is NOT a member of a cluster, it is standalone, so there should be no legitimate way to transfer in items/dinos.

This means there were no checks on items coming in and users were able to transfer in overpowered items/dinos generated in single player. This isn't fair to players who are trying to tackle the map legitimately. The fact that it was even possible in the first place was a mis-configuration and not something that was intentionally allowed. The server has been running for over six months but just recently did this problem come to light.

As to the daily reboots, these happen at 4 AM Central time and always have. Maybe we could put a warning on screen in case people are still up and forget it is going to happen?

We're definitely interested in hearing your thoughts about the transferring if there something we are missing in terms of making sure items/dinos were acquired legitimately and not in single player.

Thanks,
Flash

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:08 am

I changed the restarts to only happen when the server has no players on it. If you are losing progress, it probably means the server crashed which happens occasionally. I enabled uploads for now while we figure out what to do with transferring, so you should be able to move your stuff back off the server at least.

tntj3tfire
Villun
Villun

Post by tntj3tfire » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:29 pm

see people in the commuinity brought stuff from other server to make it easier we are all in this together, and when i went to give a gift to verm which i spent 4 hrs getting him, i felt like that time was and every other hour i spent getting things i needed for the server were wasted without warning, i feel like there should have been a community meeting about this or a poll or somthing to talk about this before just remoiving it

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:41 pm

I understand your feelings and we appreciate you sharing your opinion. But the server was setup standalone with no intention of allowing transfers in. As soon as we realized it was happening, thanks to your other thread just six days ago, we worked to fix the misconfiguration.

Do you know of a way we can allow transfers in without allowing players to cheat the system and bring in items/dinos that aren't native to The Island? Or a way to make sure players don't go to single player, or servers with highly boosted rates, to easily acquire high level items/dinos and avoid putting in the effort to acquire them on our server?

tntj3tfire
Villun
Villun

Post by tntj3tfire » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:26 pm

i get the intention of keeping the server pure, but most people who play the game have gotten their stuff legit if you see poop that is out of order ie a 5000 level dino that obviously was spawned in then yeah talk to them, however i have a friend whos legit enforcer level 500 and some which i watched him spend 10 hrs looking for and taming now is stuck there, how fair is that to him?

as to if theres a way to allow transfering and cheating the system to allowing peopel to not boost rates thats always gonna happen its a easy thing to do spending 1 day to hatch wyvern eggs rather than 3 its an ease of time, no one wants to put in the time hatching that egg and then have it die cause they had to deal with life.

as for putting in the effort, people still are we go out collect the rocks metal wood thatch ect that we need to do what we need to the dinos from other places we use are to make that process quicker not to cheat the system.

JustCallMeEevee
New Villun
New Villun

Post by JustCallMeEevee » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:52 pm

You say you want players to legitimately tackle The Island, but how are we supposed to do that when your settings have engram points and level percentages for stats set so low that it is impossible for anyone to do anything. Like we need a large team of people on all at the same time in order to be able to make things that are needed. Upon bringing in a character from a single player that had maxed level and had all engrams unlocked and had slightly higher stats (not extreme, slightly elevated) it was automatically set to max server stats (I could carry maybe 3 stacks of wood on my person at a time, when your moving things from storage to a dino for moving base locations, it takes an impossibly long time. All of your settings are not making for any type of way for people to legitimately tackle The Island. It is frustrating and angering and honestly makes it feel useless to even be trying to play on this server even though I have 6 friends in a tribe with me.

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:17 am

Sounds like we're kinda talking about two different issues now.
tntj3tfire wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:26 pm
however i have a friend whos legit enforcer level 500 and some which i watched him spend 10 hrs looking for and taming now is stuck there, how fair is that to him?
TNT, uploads are re-enabled. Nothing is stuck on the server.
tntj3tfire wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:26 pm
as to if theres a way to allow transfering and cheating the system to allowing peopel to not boost rates thats always gonna happen its a easy thing to do spending 1 day to hatch wyvern eggs rather than 3 its an ease of time, no one wants to put in the time hatching that egg and then have it die cause they had to deal with life.
I hear what you're saying about the challenges of the game and the time required, but that's how it works. We've all lost tames/hatches and it sucks. But those of us who have been on the server from the beginning got to where we are by putting in the time and effort, not taking shortcuts.
JustCallMeEevee wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:52 pm
You say you want players to legitimately tackle The Island, but how are we supposed to do that when your settings have engram points and level percentages for stats set so low that it is impossible for anyone to do anything.
Eevee, we're running official rates and always have been. We've boosted rates during events to match official servers and then lowered them back down after the events ended. When official servers got permanent doubled rates in August we matched those changes.

So I guess it depends on your definition of "legitimate." If it means "how the developer intended" or what is "official" then I'd say we are meeting that definition to the letter.
JustCallMeEevee wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:52 pm
All of your settings are not making for any type of way for people to legitimately tackle The Island. It is frustrating and angering and honestly makes it feel useless to even be trying to play on this server even though I have 6 friends in a tribe with me.
I know there are servers out there that have 5X rates to make everything super fast and easy, but our server never had those. We welcome everyone at The Ville and are happy you and your friends have joined us. But I don't understand the anger about rates when you knew what they were when you started played. We have not lowered the rates to make it harder or anything.

Again, our intention has always been for this server to be an official-ish stand-alone server with normal rates and no transferring. It has been less than a week since we became aware a mis-configuration was being exploited and we corrected the error.

Our long standing rules have always prohibited any sort of exploiting maps or cheating the system, so we moved quickly to fix things once we became aware of the problem: https://www.theville.org/info/rules

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by M's » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:57 pm

If it every gets reinstated. Let me know so I can bring my main player back please.

tntj3tfire
Villun
Villun

Post by tntj3tfire » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:15 pm

so i know we, discused this but is there a way to allow fertile eggs only thru? that way we still handle the rates and have to hatch and grow said things?

Bort
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Bort » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:55 am

My personal take on it is that I'm playing on the Island because I *don't * want to experience content from other maps yet. If people are wandering around on content from other maps/DLCs that diminishes my ability to experience that content fresh, when I do jump to those new maps.

tntj3tfire
Villun
Villun

Post by tntj3tfire » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:54 pm

yeah i guess that makes sense what about having new servers hosted by the vill on other maps? or even a reset evetually

Bort
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Bort » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:24 pm

I am new to the community so I dont know if this has been talked about before, but I bet for a financial contribution they might consider it.

I've rented servers for games in the past and it seems like it can be pretty affordable. Perhaps if we raised $X they would agree to host an additional server on another map for Y number of months, with the option to contribute again at the end of that period?

I definitely want to play the other maps eventually, but as I'm in the middle of a job search I haven't had the time to fully experience The Island yet....

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:23 pm

Bort wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:24 pm
I bet for a financial contribution they might consider it.
I need to get the front-page portal fixed so the information about donating is back available...