The Ville lanuches Valheim server

Front page announcement threads can be found here.
Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

The Ville lanuches Valheim server

Post by Flash » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:40 pm

Today The Ville launched our newest game server, the viking sandbox and survival game Valheim on TV3.

Valheim is a highly-rated game in Early Access on Steam available for $19.99. Several Villuns are already playing it and suggested it as a good game to add to our server list.

"The premise of the game is that players are Vikings in an afterlife where they have to craft tools, build shelters and fight enemies to survive. The game uses stylized 3D graphics with a third-person perspective and a combat system inspired by action games," the description on Wikipedia reads.

Up to 10 players at a time can join the server, a limitation set by the developer. Currently the game requires a password to be set even for servers listed as public. Since the game is in early access the options and tools available for server operators are expected to expand over time.

For more information on how to join and to chat with your fellow players visit our new Valheim forum.

Let us know: Are you already playing Valheim? What do you think so far? Why should your fellow Villuns jump in and prepare to battle Odin?

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: The Ville lanuches Valheim server

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:13 am

Bjoss Halfllama checking in.

Frankly, I quite like it so far. The comparison to a combination of Minecraft and 7DtD feels apt, and to Ark as well (though I've played a lot less of that). Some exploration, some building, some combat, lots of learning.

One thing I'm really liking is that while stuff like food, shelter, and warmth all offer notable bonuses and are clearly desirable, unlike a lot of survival games, you don't just die on the first day if you don't immediately figure out how to find them - instead you just sort of sit at the basic level of health and efficiency until you're able to improve your status with those comforts.

I played for about 30 minutes in single player to get a basic understanding of how interactions work, but honestly if you've played a lot of games before, most of it can be figured out in a pretty straightforward manner just by trying the various things you'd expect to work in any similar game. Literally the only thing I couldn't figure out for myself was how to repair personal gear, which is a non-obvious button in the workbench interface, but otherwise it's all pretty direct.

PS: Beware of falling trees :-D
-Boss Llama