Competitive Play

Join the conversation about the popular FPS from Blizzard!
Inner
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Competitive Play

Post by Inner » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:27 am

I'm about halfway through my first 10 rounds but I'm confused and perhaps you can help me understand.

What is competitive about this? We are competing with ALL other players yes? Even our own teammates. What are the metrics being measured? Is it per hero, do you get bonus points for playing multiple heroes or should you main to get a higher ranking? Teamwork seems to matter so much that it's kind of squishy to just throw random players together and base rankings on that. Any insight you could provide is appreciated. For now I'm just doing it to get the loot :D

Also, I'm curious about setting up more traditional Ville style matches. Of course we can't get our own server yet because Blizzard doesn't like that. But can we invite 12 people to a custom map as teams? Perhaps have 2 groups of six and invite them somehow?

Thanks!

Plas
Server Admin
Server Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Competitive Play

Post by Plas » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:15 pm

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20167051

Blog post on playoverwatch.com talking about competitive play.

From my understanding, though i could be wrong is that the main rank metric is win / loss. Sounds like some weight to it depending on rank of opponents. Like if you win against higher ranked you will get a bit more of a boost and if you loose to lower ranked you might take more of a ding. Goal is to work with your team to get a win which in turn helps you move up in rank. Season will last 2 and a half months, then stats will reset and everyone starts all over again. You attempt to get as high in rank as you can in that span of time.

http://masteroverwatch.com/leaderboards ... tegory/mmr

50 rank is middle of the road.

We had a 6 vs 6 villiuns seed a couple weeks back. It's just a matter of rounding up the people at the right time of night. It worked fine. It reminds me of L4D2, you get your 12 people, play a few maps then someone leaves and you are stuck finding a replacement. That will become easier if more people pick up the game.

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:16 pm

If you're going to play competitive, I strongly suggest that you know how to locally mute and gag players. There are some people who are quite abusive in competitive (a small percentage, but it seems I get one every three or so games that I lose), and it very much ruined the game for me until I learned how to shut them up.
:)

Inner
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Inner » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:53 pm

Thanks Plas, that helps.

And B&B, oh so true. Yes I've learned to press P and block them. It makes me miss playing on Ville servers!

Earthworm James
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Earthworm James » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:59 am

Dedicated servers would be awesome. I enjoy the emphasis on consistent 6v6 games for quality control and competition, but it would be nice at some point to have community created content and server browsing.

A PUG night could be a good way to get in some quality OW time. Even just filling one group is nice, but yea if we have 12-15 or 20 people into pug nights, then we can scramble teams and have emphasis on competition, or experimentation, or lunacy perhaps...

i'm up for anything - rhythmyst#1787

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:54 am

My problems with competitive so far is that many people queue in twos. This mean 1 group of 2 in group chat. A second group of 2 in group chat. This leaves 2 people in party chat. This create very little communication. The other problem I have is leavers. All my losses and wins so far have been to whatever team did or did not have people leave.

Acedeuce
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Acedeuce » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:45 am

heyas...feel free to toss me an invite if you need to fill a spot! I have 2 other friends from elsewhere I tend to run competitive with, but I'd love to get a stronger crew. The number of people who queue and don't coordinate/communicate is frustrating, and leads to most losses. Makonde#1742 is my battlenet.