Overwatch (beta)

Join the conversation about the popular FPS from Blizzard!
bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Overwatch (beta)

Post by bluntspoon » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:29 pm

Boss Llama wrote:My Google-Fu tells me that in mid-September they announced that there would be no community servers, and that even private practice sessions and such would have to be hosted through Blizzard official servers. Game companies really do seem to hate gamers.
What is the upside for them doing this?

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:20 pm

bluntspoon wrote:
Boss Llama wrote:My Google-Fu tells me that in mid-September they announced that there would be no community servers, and that even private practice sessions and such would have to be hosted through Blizzard official servers. Game companies really do seem to hate gamers.
What is the upside for them doing this?
From our perspective, there isn't one.

From their perspective, it allows them to control every aspect of the experience - the advertisements, the micro-transactions, the content, the trends - and allows them to force anybody with a good idea for a mod or gameplay feature to go through them (and probably cede all rights to them) to see it put in to play. It also lets them shut down the product whenever they don't feel like supporting it any more, to force people to buy whatever their new hotness is, and is one of the many ways companies try to claim they are only "leasing" or "licensing" their software, rather than actually selling it to somebody, so they can try to argue against purchasers having any rights to sell or lend their game to third parties.

I don't support piracy, hacking, or "benchmarking" as a rule, but I would love it if people cracked the hell out of things like this and rubbed it in the developer's face.
-Boss Llama

NerevarineKing
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by NerevarineKing » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:14 am

I'm in the beta weekend Enking#1499.
Warpath Cup '12- [ICU] Inner Children Unleashed (Champions!)
Villympics '12- [USAHB] USA Handbrake
The Ville Cup '12- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Warpath Loves Dustbowl '13- \SOBAD/
The Ville Cup '14- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent

Plas
Server Admin
Server Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plas » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:37 am

So anyone that got in still playing the current beta? Game release date is set for May 24th. Open beta for pre-orders (made before April 29th) starts May 3rd. For everyone else open beta starts on the 5th. The open beta will end on May 9th.

I've been watching some youtube / twitch gameplay over the last couple of months. Definitely going to give it a go during the open beta.

DDYzErO
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DDYzErO » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:03 pm

Yup I am still in the closed Beta and playing it. They added a new map which was ok. They tried toning down some characters but wasn't too successful. Also no limitations yet on characters. That needs to happen because more then 2 of any character is hard to deal with.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:37 pm

DDYzErO wrote:Also no limitations yet on characters. That needs to happen because more then 2 of any character is hard to deal with.
Do the classes not really have hard counters? In TF2 if a team loaded up too many of one class, there was typically a counter class the other team could use to stop them. Definitely bad news if things are able to be pushed over the edge by just class-stacking.
-Boss Llama

DDYzErO
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DDYzErO » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:54 pm

Boss Llama wrote:
DDYzErO wrote:Also no limitations yet on characters. That needs to happen because more then 2 of any character is hard to deal with.
Do the classes not really have hard counters? In TF2 if a team loaded up too many of one class, there was typically a counter class the other team could use to stop them. Definitely bad news if things are able to be pushed over the edge by just class-stacking.
They do have hard counters but the way the maps are setup its very hard to counter. The range of Turrets is just plain stupid. And the fact they have infinite ammo makes it even worse

Plas
Server Admin
Server Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plas » Sun May 01, 2016 4:46 pm

Open beta starts up this coming week. http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/blog/20100169/

I will be playing overwatch during the open beta, mostly during the first couple days. Hopefully we can get a few villiuns together to play out a few rounds.

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MasterChef » Sun May 01, 2016 5:04 pm

I was able to play in two of the stress test weekends and absolutely love this game so far. It's scratching that itch that TF2 used to for me before it went the way it did. I preordered and can't wait to play some more.

Barius#1160 is my bnet account if anyone wants to add me.

Plas
Server Admin
Server Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plas » Sun May 01, 2016 10:45 pm

I found the three part series that gamespot did on Overwatch interesting (embedded above is part two). There is a spot where they talk about Team Fortress and early TF2 being part of the inspiration during the development of Overwatch.

My battle.net account is Plas#1573, feel free to add me.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon May 02, 2016 11:57 am

I also managed to get into the stress test and loved it, it kind of reminds of me of the 6v6 scrims I got into in my Twilight Tf2 years.

I think if you preordered you get access at some point today. Unfortunately there seems to be a cut-off date and if you missed it your out of luck till it goes online for everyone on Thursday. If anyone has a spare buddy key I’d appreciate it but it looks like I’m out of luck till Thursday.

Maybe I’ll see a few of you then though.

EDIT: O nvm nice friend gave me a key! :D

DDYzErO
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DDYzErO » Tue May 03, 2016 7:37 pm

So sad all my Closed beta stuff got reset. Anyhow add me for this weeks beta. DDYzErO#1990

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Tue May 03, 2016 8:51 pm

My dumbass didn't realize there was an pre-order by date. I just pre-ordered then realized I wasn't in the open beta yet. If anyone has an extra key hit me up please!!!

DDYzErO
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DDYzErO » Wed May 04, 2016 11:21 am

BigBiker05 wrote:My dumbass didn't realize there was an pre-order by date. I just pre-ordered then realized I wasn't in the open beta yet. If anyone has an extra key hit me up please!!!

Yeah but open beta starts tomorrow until sun or mon I believe for all the other reserves.

Plas
Server Admin
Server Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plas » Wed May 04, 2016 5:12 pm

The all access portion of the Open Beta will begin on all supported platforms May 4 at 4:00 p.m. PDT (11:00 p.m.UTC). All players will be able to play for FREE during this period; no sign-up or code required.
The Open Beta will conclude in all regions for all players on Monday, May 9 at 10:00 a.m. PDT (5:00 p.m. UTC).

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20100169/#schedule
The open access beta should be live now to download. So if you are curious about Overwatch this is a good time to get a free sample.