metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

NPC Housing

Post by metacide » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:54 pm

This is specifically for after the reboot.

How do we want to handle housing for NPCs? Do we want a condo set up? Should they have their own houses? What is the safest place for them? A castle in the sky or someplace deep beneath the ground?

Thoughts, opinions, etc?

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: NPC Housing

Post by Boss Llama » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:21 am

Thanks for getting this conversation started, Meta! It's an important one.

I know we were discussing this somewhat on server, just by and by, and it seemed like some underground housing near spawn might be desirable. Protecting them from the surface enemies is definitely vital, but keeping them as close together as possible is important too, so people don't have to waste time wandering all over the map to find the right merchants. I think a sky home could cause problems early on with folks who can't get up there easily (plus NPCs love jumping off cliffs, making them hard to access), whereas underground is fairly safe. While we might stick a house in the jungle for the witch doctor, for example, I don't think we want to otherwise move away from spawn for the base - much of the world gen (especially the celestial pillars) is based off distance and direction from default spawn, and we don't want to find ourselves right under a pillar, or so close to corruption/hallow that we are in a no-win battle with its spread.

I would suggest that wherever we put the bed is where we should house the nurse, to handle quick-heals on respawn. If there's some way to lock her in that room, all the better.

Something we're running in to on the current server is that people (including myself) exploring sky islands, tree rooms, or building their own places have created "valid housing" by sticking torches in places with a chair and table, and then important NPCs are randomly going to live in stupid places. We need to police ourselves to make sure we don't have random extra houses all over the map!

I would also say, if we make a farm (like the mushroom farm or something) at base, make sure to put it far enough away or down that it doesn't change the biome in the base itself. I finally got fed up and lowered the mushroom farm on the current server, because you could never tell if it was day or night at home.
-Boss Llama

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: NPC Housing

Post by metacide » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:42 am

Boss Llama wrote: I would suggest that wherever we put the bed is where we should house the nurse, to handle quick-heals on respawn. If there's some way to lock her in that room, all the better.

I would also say, if we make a farm (like the mushroom farm or something) at base, make sure to put it far enough away or down that it doesn't change the biome in the base itself. I finally got fed up and lowered the mushroom farm on the current server, because you could never tell if it was day or night at home.
I think we should build "near-ready" rooms at key places (Dungeon, jungle, temple, underworld, beach, etc) so that when we are fighting a boss nearby we can spawn in that room instead of allllllll the way back home. A near-ready room would be a basic house with a bed but missing 1 block of wall. That way you can finish it up and set it as the spawn point when you're ready to use it and then break it so no one accidentally moves in when you're away.

There is an achievement for finding or creating a mushroom biome above ground. Apart from that though it is really irritating. Thanks for dealing with that.

I like the idea of a sky mansion only because it requires less digging/clearing to get started. For new players we can have a rope going from the entrance to the ground. The biggest danger is a flying boss creature that can fly through walls. Which is why we should have an arena ready nearby with it's own spawn point.