Uber!
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Terraria Discussion

Post by Uber! » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:03 pm

I guess we should have an actual Terraria discussion thread.

What kind of gear and stuff should I have before fighting the mechanical bosses? I have mostly titanium stuff. I tried to fight Skeletron Prime but I got destroyed.

Also should I worry about the spread of the Crimson? I've noticed a few Crimson patches underground and part of my jungle has turned into Crimson but it hasn't become an issue yet.
Weep not for roads untraveled
Weep not for sights unseen
May your love never end
And if you need a friend
There's a seat here alongside me

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Terraria Discussion

Post by metacide » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:02 am

As the Crimson/Corruption spreads it will turn normal blocks into Crimson/Corruption which can be an issue if you don't have a pickaxe that can mine through them. Also it will change what spawns in that area as the biome spreads.
Sunflowers should stop the spread of the Crimson/Corruption.

I can't advise you on gear as I've never been to Hard mode :P

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:57 pm

I had the good fortune of finding Water Walking Boots, which I'd never seen before, in an ocean chest on my current world (they're rare to the point that many if not most worlds don't contain them). If you get a pair, I highly recommend turning them into Lava Waders as soon as possible (combine with an Obsidian Skull at Tinkerer's Workshop, then combine with a Lava Charm). They let you walk on all liquids indefinitely and let you submerge in lava for 7 seconds before taking damage, making exploring the Underworld and mining Hellstone massively easier. I didn't even need to build a platform to fight the Wall of Flesh because I could just run along the lava (it was still harder than with a platform, but at least it's do-able).

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:14 pm

Water walkers are great! I've got them in obsidian form presently, and have been hoping to score a lava charm for the next upgrade for some time :-D
-Boss Llama

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:10 pm

Is anyone encountering a bug where the game plays multiple sound effects (eating, double-jumping, potion consumption, and I think one or two more) all at once every time they respawn? It's annoying enough that it's hurting my enjoyment of the game, especially since I've found myself in Hardmode with gear that wasn't even top-tier for pre-Hardmode, meaning I die every couple minutes and have to hear a grating mess of SFX every time.

Also, I too would like some Hardmode gear recommendations. The last time I played this game was well over a year ago, and all my old characters have later-game gear than I have access to right now, so I can't pick stuff based on what I used to have.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:30 pm

Will T. wrote:Is anyone encountering a bug where the game plays multiple sound effects (eating, double-jumping, potion consumption, and I think one or two more) all at once every time they respawn? It's annoying enough that it's hurting my enjoyment of the game, especially since I've found myself in Hardmode with gear that wasn't even top-tier for pre-Hardmode, meaning I die every couple minutes and have to hear a grating mess of SFX every time.

Also, I too would like some Hardmode gear recommendations. The last time I played this game was well over a year ago, and all my old characters have later-game gear than I have access to right now, so I can't pick stuff based on what I used to have.
The sound effects are likely the result of your equipped vanity and light pets; they are auto-summoned when you respawn.

As for gear, work your way up the new minerals in your world first, but you'll want to wait until you have Adamantite or Titanium gear before you fight the hardmode bosses. Frost Armor is pretty good however, adding the Frostburn effect to your melee or ranged attacks; this requires you to kill Ice Golems in the tundras during rain/heavy snowfall though (1.3.0.1 made it so that you no longer needed Hallowed Bars for the set, just Adamantite/Titanium). You really can't get anything else before then, aside from Spider gear but Spider is pretty trash for defense (it's a summoner armor). When you can beat the bosses they drop Hallowed Bars which make a better armor (craft a Drax first though).

After Hallowed, it's a matter of how you want to play for what armor you go. Melee users benefit from Turtle armor, crafted from Turtle Shells and Chlorophyte which Chlorophyte doesn't become available until you have Drax. Ranged users would go for Shroomite gear, crafted from Shroomite bars requiring you to make a home for the Truffle. Magic users would go for the Spectral gear, where the materials for that don't drop until after Plantera is killed and hardmore Dungeon mobs begin to spawn. Summoners should seek out the Tiki or Spooky gear, Tiki is sold by the Witch Doctor in the Jungle after Plantera is down while Spooky is crafted from wood drops during Pumpkin Moons.
Last edited by Zork Nemesis on Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:37 pm

Hey all - we're waiting on TShock to update - it's expected later tonight - and then we can get the main server updated :-)
-Boss Llama

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:48 am

I suppose I got lucky. I beat the Destroyer on Expert thanks to a ridiculously OP new bow (Daedalus Stormbow for those wondering). The first treasure bag I opened from the boss contained a set of vanity armor modeled after Crowno's (one of the games' sprite artists) personal in-game armor, though it also included a set of wings that are far better than what I can craft at present. Turns out every dev who has their own armor has a vanity set available in hard mode treasure bags. Now there's going to be some hard mode boss farming to get all those vanity armor sets.

In other news, I also found a Rod of Discord for the first time. I can finally teleport spam until it kills me!

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:34 am

I also had a fairly lucky turn of events. Goblin invasion came, and in hard mode there is a new mini-boss, the Goblin summoner. Thing killed all of my NPCs and me around 15 times, but I finally killed it netting a mythical shadowflame hex doll--extremely powerful low mana cost spell. Only downside is a somewhat short range, which coupled with mage armor having lower defense has resulted in a few unfortunate deaths.

Still have not beaten any of the hard mode bosses (playing on expert). Skeletron prime spawned randomly and... well let's say it was fun for one of us.

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:11 pm

The Domer wrote:Still have not beaten any of the hard mode bosses (playing on expert). Skeletron prime spawned randomly and... well let's say it was fun for one of us.
That was you, right?

I'm still in pre-hard mode. I need some help killing Expert Skeletron. That guy kills me then stops to laugh at my corpse.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:04 pm

metacide wrote:I'm still in pre-hard mode. I need some help killing Expert Skeletron. That guy kills me then stops to laugh at my corpse.
I built a two-layer arena and went to town on him with Space Gun/Meteor Armor. You have to keep moving to dodge his skull projectiles and whatever you do don't get trapped in his spinning head attack. I ended up beating him while King Slime was in play as well, poor timing to start the battle on my part.

Having a campfire in the arena is a good idea, as it provides a small regeneration boost. I find I have way more campfires than ever in Expert than I ever used in any other play of mine.

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:28 pm

Zork Nemesis wrote: Having a campfire in the arena is a good idea, as it provides a small regeneration boost. I find I have way more campfires than ever in Expert than I ever used in any other play of mine.
I have a 3 layer arena, a campfire, and a star in a bottle. I'm using the Waterbolt spell instead of the spacegun, tho I have one of those as well.

Just for giggles I put up a banner for extra damage against skeletons. Not that I think it will actually boost my damage but because it makes me feel slightly better.

My defense is mid 30s and I'm still getting torn up. Maybe I need to work on the "dodging" aspect more.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:51 pm

metacide wrote:
My defense is mid 30s and I'm still getting torn up. Maybe I need to work on the "dodging" aspect more.
If you have it, the Shield of Cthulu is amazing for dodging boss attacks, especially if you have Hermes/Spectre Boots since the double-tap dash will put you at full speed.

Also if you have it, the Worm Scarf is super useful anyway. A flat 17% damage taken reduction is beautiful.

Now that I think about it, I think I used the Demon Bow and flaming arrows over the Space Gun, Space Gun is how I beat the Eater of Worlds.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:39 pm

Hardmode on Stevo's server put the Hallow directly on top of my Crimson biome. The nerve! It's already been fixed though so you will not see as many unicorns with your brain fighting.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:44 pm

Expert Plantera. God damn. I'm at max health, I'm rocking the best possible gear I can get, incredible defense (80+ with -27% damage taken) and yet this guy just absolutely destroyed me.

So he's a lot faster than his regular counterpart. He shoots more often and his projectiles have better tracking. But that's not the worst, when he gets to half he still spawns a ton of little hooks that make him harder to get near, but in Expert the things he uses to climb walls spawns them too. These little tentacle things are everywhere. It makes it near impossible to fight him since there's very little room to safely engage him. I might finally be stuck but I'm sure there's a trick.