Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Terraria Server Suggestion Box

Post by Zork Nemesis » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:24 pm

metacide wrote:I tested this out the other day and I could not get my stars to stack to 100. I have 3 stacks of 99 but not one of them can get to 100.
They stacked to 100 prior to 1.3, I'm guessing that was changed but my stack was unaffected.

On another note, the server doesn't allow me to teleport. I brought in my expert character to test the speeds of the Mechanical Cart on the skyrail and I screwed around with my Rod of Discord in the process. Any attempt to use the rod was met with "You do not have permission to teleport" and it didn't let me move.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:45 am

Rod of Discord appears to have its own separate permission to use, and is blocked by default for all servers under TShock. Is the general consensus that it should be ok to use? It does look pretty OP, though in a communal/non-PvP server, I don't know that it matters. Thoughts?
-Boss Llama

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:07 am

Since we're not using PvP it's not a big deal. Every time you use it there's a 5-second debuff that makes you take a lot of damage if you use it again during that time so spamming teleport isn't an issue. I honestly don't know why it's blocked, I don't see a negative consequence to using it; even with PvP it's not that big a deal. I'll tell you it makes exploring the underground a hell of a lot easier, especially the jungle as there's places to pop up all over the place that are usually lit up by spores. No need to tunnel through everything to get anywhere.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:06 pm

I think exactly the thing you describe is why it's default blocked - it's such a ludicrous advantage, anywhere with an even remotely competitive or comparative environment is going to hate it. I'll get it unblocked shortly.
-Boss Llama

Peahats
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Peahats » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:21 pm

This sounds like a lot of fun, too bad I dont have stable internet here

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:59 pm

Server updated to 1.3.0.5.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:14 am

Thanks Stevo!

As a bonus, today's update fixed the boss spawning items - I tested it with an Eye of Cthulhu, and verified it worked!
-Boss Llama

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:45 am

Does that mean I can just spam Eye of Cthulhu over and over again?

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:04 pm

Haha, if that floats your boat :-P

In more practical terms, it means we should get together to finish off the other mech bosses, and go Plantera hunting.
-Boss Llama

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:09 am

We have a bit of a serious problem on the server at present: Corruption has spread to the small area just outside the primary shelter that is protected from changes. My attempts to use the Clentaminator on it to turn it back into Purity were reverted so we have a permanent patch of Corruption that's just spreading to our spawn over and over. NPCs cannot live in Corruption or Crimson so this needs to be fixed or at least the protection should be disabled on the server restart for Expert. Again with password protection I doubt anyone's going to try griefing and even if they do it's not a hard fix.

As a consequence, my efforts to fix it also turned that Mushroom garden downstairs into Jungle grass. Oops.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:41 am

Yeah - this July server has proven so far to be very valuable for sorting out permissions and glitches as much as anything! Apparently solar eclipses can't be trigged by most players at the moment either, due to a different permission than boss fights, so I'm hunting the appropriate changes. I'll see if I can turn off spawn protection as well, since it's not overly useful when we aren't dealing with griefers and many folks change their spawn anyway with a bed.

One of the reasons I think so many permissions are disabled by default is that we don't have people log in to the server every time they connect to it. As a result, everybody (myself included if I don't specifically log in to admin) is defaulted in to the highly restricted "guest" group. Only way around it is to have each person create a special account and then manually log in with a distinct user/pw combo every time you connect, which seems more trouble than it's worth, or to do what I'm doing, which is add permissions to the guest group whenever it's found that one is lacking! If the server weren't passworded, I'd totally go the login/grouping route, but as is... meh.

Blackhawk and I ran in to a bug last night where with certain very high power weapons we were constantly being petrified/frozen, much like when you (Zork) logged in with "too many" stars in a stack. I think there's another permission that has a damage limit on it that I need to find and eliminate. I'll test that as soon as I'm able.
-Boss Llama

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:36 am

What weapons were you using and how much damage did they have? I just popped in on my Expert character who has a 180 damage yo-yo (The Eye of Cthulu, dropped from Mothran during Solar Eclipses) and a 134 damage sword (Christmas Tree Sword from Everscreams during Frost Moon) and wasn't locked in place.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:04 am

Terra Blade was the worst offender. Was happening during an eclipse where we were hitting 5 and 10 targets at a time with rapid swings plus projectiles plus pets plus Chloro armor attacks, so combined damage was quite high. Not sure it was that, but the problem didn't exist when we switched back to lower damage weapons.

--edit--

I've updated the permissions again. You should be able to change the spawn without it reverting now - important, given that corruption has made it under the house itself!
-Boss Llama

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:10 pm

I just disabled spawn protection globally.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:37 pm

Boss Llama wrote:Terra Blade was the worst offender. Was happening during an eclipse where we were hitting 5 and 10 targets at a time with rapid swings plus projectiles plus pets plus Chloro armor attacks, so combined damage was quite high. Not sure it was that, but the problem didn't exist when we switched back to lower damage weapons.
Maybe it was looking at exceedingly high DPS, as the Terra Blade can do that against lines of enemies. I bet if I took my yo-yo into the server during an eclipse or even a boss fight I could get frozen by the server. Not uncommon for the yo-yo to break 1,000 DPS on groups.