Was there ever a terraria theville server?

A forum dedicated to Terraria
Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Was there ever a terraria theville server?

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:14 am

Yeah, that's the one piece of expert loot that doesn't function in non-expert worlds.

I'd love to see us stick with our non-expert world for a bit, to get those of us who are newbies (assuming there are more than just me?) up to speed and have a bit of hardmode experience and gear so I/we aren't constantly pestering the experienced folks and dying to yard-trash for lack of equipment. Once we've had a chance to do that, I'd be all for rolling over to an expert mode server. Thoughts? Do we have other new folks who've joined us?
-Boss Llama

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:40 am

If we migrate to an expert server, we should at least loosen some of the player restrictions. I got frozen upon logging in because I had more than 99 Fallen Stars at once, despite the fact that Fallen Stars stack to 100 for some reason and are used as ammo for a specific weapon (the Star Cannon).

In other news on the current multiplayer server, I created a character and brought him up to speed with pre-hard mode gear (my own stuff mind you, I didn't loot anything I didn't need). In the meantime I have also dug a tunnel to hell and started a skyrail for easy surface travel. So far the rails will take you a bit past the dungeon, but they don't go toward the jungle yet. At max speed you won't get any encounters that can keep up with you. The rail is too low for Harpies as well so the worst you might get are Antlion Swarmers and Eaters of Souls should you slow down; even then you can just run them down in the cart.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:08 am

Man even with Jungle/Platinum armor, full health, a good bow, the bee gun and some potions the Eye of Cthulu in expert mode was hard to kill. That crazy fast charge attack is terrifying,

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:32 am

Guardian wrote:Man even with Jungle/Platinum armor, full health, a good bow, the bee gun and some potions the Eye of Cthulu in expert mode was hard to kill. That crazy fast charge attack is terrifying,
It gets even worse when his defense skyrockets.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:08 am

Zork Nemesis wrote:
Guardian wrote:Man even with Jungle/Platinum armor, full health, a good bow, the bee gun and some potions the Eye of Cthulu in expert mode was hard to kill. That crazy fast charge attack is terrifying,
It gets even worse when his defense skyrockets.
In Expert mode I had to create a brick platform above me a ways, some wood platforms that I could jump to easily, and use the waterbolt spell supplemented with Molotov Cocktails to take him down. I filled the space between the brick platform and the ground with bouncing waterbolts when I had mana to spend and tossed cocktails when I didn't. It was close but it worked out pretty well.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:11 am

Zork Nemesis wrote:If we migrate to an expert server, we should at least loosen some of the player restrictions.
Can you elaborate? I'm not sure what the player restrictions are. Are you sure the stars caused the freeze?
-Boss Llama

Perfect Villain
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Perfect Villain » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:29 pm

non-admins dont seem to be able to use items to summon bosses, can this be changed please....
Thanks Sparky

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:21 pm

Boss Llama wrote:
Zork Nemesis wrote:If we migrate to an expert server, we should at least loosen some of the player restrictions.
Can you elaborate? I'm not sure what the player restrictions are. Are you sure the stars caused the freeze?
It was the stars, I was getting a message telling me that I had too many stars. Non-admins also cannot change where the NPCs live, which is kind of annoying because some NPCs have different stuff to buy if they live in different biomes. For instance the Witch Doctor sells a useful summoner accessory if he/she lives in the jungle and the Steampunker (who we don't have yet) sells the solution to spread Hallow for the Clentaminator if she lives in the Hallow.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:54 am

Thanks for the info! Interesting stuff, that - I'm guessing it's somewhere in the config files for the server?

I have a great deal to learn about this game - how does one specify which NPC lives where (assuming one has the ability)? Can you keep a given "house" off-limits to random move-ins so you can have stations ready in different biomes but not worry about NPCs going there isn't of the main base on a whim?

Also, unrelated, I've expanded the storage to reduce density for the moment. Everything is labeled, please try to get things to the roughly correct spots so people can find them!
-Boss Llama

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:20 am

For NPC homes, the room needs a table, chair, door, and light source; a glass window does not count as a light source. Multiple things can fit those bills: crafting tables count for tables while beds and toilets can count for chairs. When you hit Escape, above your equipped gear there's a house icon that brings up banners showing what houses your NPCs live in, and you can reassign them to different homes by clicking on their face and then clicking an unoccupied valid home. There's no way to block an NPC from living in a house if the house is valid; if you want to keep it off limits don't put any sort of chair or door in the room if you can help it. When I build my shelters I usually leave the crafting and storage areas open to the rest of the shelter and exit and keep them door and/or chair free. NPCs do not change houses on their own free will, but they will move into a random unoccupied valid home anywhere in the world when they return after death, so if they move to the wrong house just reassign them to where you actually want them. This especially becomes annoying in the case of the Guide and Clothier as both of them spawn bosses upon their death under the correct conditions (throwing their voodoo dolls into lava).

In other news, the Sky Rail is finished. You can ride from coast to coast without slowing down; takes about two minutes to get from one ocean to the other at full speed. For faster travel, build and equip a minecart from 15 iron/lead and 10 wood. You can ride the rails without one but having one equipped increases travel speed. If you can jump high enough you can reach and grapple hook the rail from just about anywhere and get in, but if you can't (especially to the east, the terrain is much lower in that direction) I've set up stations at locations of interest. You can find the stations at these locations, from West to East (left to right):
-The Ocean (west)
-The Corruption (west)
-The Dungeon Entrance; this stop also has a sky lake connected to it
-The Crimson
-The Ice Cavern
-Home Base; a hole that leads straight to Hell exists here.
-The Desert Cavern
-The Corruption (east)
-The Jungle Cavern
-The Ocean (east)

The rails will not block meteorites should we get more, however the stations could possibly catch them. Slim chance, but still there.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:29 am

Cool beans! I was familiar with the requirements for them to move in, but not with the icon where you could reassign them. Thanks for the info, and for building the rail.
-Boss Llama

Perfect Villain
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Perfect Villain » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:47 pm

i use a boss summon item and it does nothing then a few minutes later it gives me the item back, so doesnt seeem to be working yet.
Thanks Sparky

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:41 am

Perfect Villain wrote:i use a boss summon item and it does nothing then a few minutes later it gives me the item back, so doesnt seeem to be working yet.
By way of troubleshooting, what item did you try to use, and did you make sure the conditions were correct for its use? IE, Suspicious Looking Eye only at night, Worm Food only in the corruption, etc?
-Boss Llama

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:03 am

I was there when he attempted it, I believe he was summoning the Eye. At first he tried during the day but quickly realized his mistake. When he tried during the Blood Moon that night it didn't cooperate.

Perfect Villain
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Perfect Villain » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:51 pm

I did it during the day because i forgot about the night part well of course nothing happened and after about 5 minutes i recieved the item back in my pack and then i tried at night and the samething happened it used it and then cameback to my pack...
Thanks Sparky