FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Lock up at Desktop/Windows
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mUj0
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Lock up at Desktop/Windows Reply with quote

Hey guys, I seem to be having a problem. For two days now, my computer has been behaving abnormally. It' keeps locking up in windows desktop, (freezing up). Or when running any tasks. I just started having this problem..my computer has been running fine since i built it in december. I thought maybe it was the new Omega drivers i installed, so i uninstalled them, and it still is crashing. I thought maybe it was a new game i bought (Fable), so i uninstalled it, and its still crashing. I've undone any significant Hardware/ software changes i've done in the past week, and i'm stumped.

Here's my setup:

AMD 64 3500+ *stock
PC 3200 Corsair XMS RAM *1GB (2 x 512)
ATI x850 xt 256 mb PCI express
2 x 80 GB Seagate HD's SATA
TurboLink 500 Watt Powersupply
EPOX 9NPA+ Ultra Mobo (nforce ultra)

If any of you could spare any thought as to why my computer keeps freezing, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

Colossians 2:20 "You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the evil powers of this world. So why do you keep on following rules of the world"
Rough Justice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you getting and blue screen messages? Any abnormal boot up beeps. Anything in the event logs look fishy? Reseat Ram

Rough
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be spyware using up all your memory or even a possible virus. Atleast thats what it sounds like to me. Try shutting any program not needed at boot up. ctl,alt.del as soon as you see your desktop then close all the programs that don't need to be running and run a spyware program. It happened to me once when the wife went ebaying . Just to warn you it took several times to get it to work, but when I finally got it to run it fixed the issue. Also if you have a hard time with not being to runa spyware program disconnect your internet and try it.

On another note try running system scan as there might be a issue in your registry.

When you upgraded your omega drivers did you delete the old ones first ? Like everything to do with your VC if not try doing that and then updating.

Anyways there's a few ideas if none of those work ( get a bigger hammer ) let us know. .
sgt stutter
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of windows do you have installed. Like simple said check for spyware and/or viruses they can do some strange stuff to your comp. When does it lock up, at random places or always in the same place such as during windows boot after it boots or is it running for a while then locks. If its running for a bit then locks could be heat related. Try running in safe mode and see if it freezes then.

click--><eVa>SuperGreg

R.I.P Trigger Happy
mUj0
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i just got back from work and it didnt freeze up all day. And no, i didnt uninstall my old drivers when i updated i know, shame on me. I thought about the heat issue, and i checked and all my temps are fine. One thing though, about a week ago, the heatsink fan on my southbridge on the motherboard has been making noise. A friend of mine told me to ignore it, till my computer starts crashing....think it could be related?

Another thing...When my AOL instant messanger starts up, i get a WIN DLL error saying : not a windows message" or something. and the image or advertisement thats usually at the top is now gone...

I'm using Windows XP Pro. i did get the BSOD (blue screen of death) once. Havnt had it since. and i get abnormal beeps when it does crash for freeze up, although they are very faint..my computer does make a noise when it freezes.

Where can i find even logs?
Where do i find system scan?
Simpleman.....about shutting down programs then running antispyware: what programs should i shut down? theres alot of them and i'm not sure what they all do

Thanks for all the help guys, ii'll try running my anti virus again, (although it runs every night at 2 am) and my anti spyware (which runs at 2:30 am every night )

dont worry guys, in 3 years when i get my degree in computer geekage (networking/programming) i'll be able to solve my own problems

Colossians 2:20 "You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the evil powers of this world. So why do you keep on following rules of the world"
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might wana uninstall both your omega and normal drivers, reboot in safemode and run driver cleaner then reboot normal and install whatever driver. Having 2 drivers at once is a no-no.

also, try opening your case and see if that fan it running right.
Rough Justice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer

Look for errors on the date and time you got the BSOD - Any errors might tip you off to whats happening.

Rough
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can shut down anything that is under your name or computer name. Just leave the system programs running. Make sure you shut everything down that is ATI or CLI.EXE aka. ati catalyst control center.

Like mike said you want to delete anything todo with ATI including the control center and then reinstall the new driver. Otherwise your system is loading 2 drivers at the same time and they both want to control your card. .
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing make sure you run more then one spyware program.

This one works well http://www.download.com/3001-8022_4-10399602.html

Also this one as well http://www.download.com/3001-8022_4-10401314.html

I highly recommend both of those and I'm sure others can recommend a couple others.

Hope this helps

I just picked this up works awesome

http://www.registryoptimizer.com/
mUj0
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I played around last night ( game or two). And it was working fine. Woke up this morning and it was fine, visited the bathroom , came out, and i had another blue screen:

KERNAL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

And now I cant even boot my computer into windows. It keeps saying, before windows starts...Insert cd to boot windows, or whatever. Like windows isnt even on my HD or something... I tried F8 into Safe mode and it wont even let me do that. all i can do is get into my BIOS. I'm on my wife's computer right now. I just cant figure this out...It was working fine a week ago. I have a bad feeling i'm in for another windows install/ format

mUj0
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:

also, try opening your case and see if that fan it running right.

From what i can tell, its running right, its just making alot of noise, like there's something hitting the fan, or its loose.

sgt stutter
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
KERNAL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

Did a search on that error, here is some info that came up.

-->http://www2.geek.com/discus/messages/24/10734.html?1102628971

-->Clicky this extremly long URL Here

-->http://www.smartcomputing.com/techsupport/detail.aspx?guid=&ErrorID=21350

-->http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228753

click--><eVa>SuperGreg

R.I.P Trigger Happy
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eww doesn't sound too good mooj. Check to make sure everything is popped in place correctly. I'd try reformatting if you don't have much to lose (I'm sure you do), but at least you'll remember to keep backups in the future if you don't already which would be awesome. If the problem persists after a reformat then it's probably a hardware error. From the looks of those pages stutter posted then it would be a defective stick of RAM or possibly your slots. Check and make sure your RAM is pushed in all the way, they can be tough sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said earlier check the RAM - Take one stick out the try to boot up - if BSOD - swap sticks and try again. You can try booting from the windows disk and do a repair too -

Rough
mUj0
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i switched the RAM around, no difference. no more BSOD, but i cant even get into windows at all. I"m getting this:

Boot from CD: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSTERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

is my HD failed? becuase some of those posts of stutter's talked about the HD being permanently fried

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: