FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Willy Wonka Movie!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kahlan Amnell
Queen of Spam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wearing a top hat and red velvet coat, speaking in a light effeminate voice of extreme fussiness, he looks and acts like a 19th century vampire who is halfway through a sex change.

http://ctprofiles.net/799963
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Wonka Reply with quote

Kahlan Amnell wrote:
Krazy Karl wrote:
totally a flaming homo!!

Shame on you Not talking
that's not nice.....

It is true but more like Michael Jackson
Kahlan Amnell
Queen of Spam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still say it is a lifestyle choice.... and couching it in those terms is kind of incendiary... eh. While I am sure people who have made that choice have heard that type of thing being said, I know some who still find it offensive that other .. how to phrase lol... strange people are being categorized to be like them.... I don't know how to explain.... bah. must sleep. hopefully this gave you the gist of where I was attempting to go... if not I will try again later

http://ctprofiles.net/799963
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not playing Gene Wilder's roll. It's a whole new movie based off the original book where Willy Wonka was a whole lot more insane than Gene Wilder's character in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. And sorry to burst your bubbles but the Oompa Loompas aren't gonna be orange with green hair either.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kahlan Amnell wrote:
I still say it is a lifestyle choice.... and couching it in those terms is kind of incendiary... eh. While I am sure people who have made that choice have heard that type of thing being said, I know some who still find it offensive that other .. how to phrase lol... strange people are being categorized to be like them.... I don't know how to explain.... bah. must sleep. hopefully this gave you the gist of where I was attempting to go... if not I will try again later
Translation to Krazy Karl language: Don't group the "flaming homos" with the "freaks." There seems to be a difference.

And now back to 5th's language. He's supposed to look freaky yet childish. As I've said, this IS directed by Tim Burton, even if it is based off of a children's book.
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He looks eccentric....and still shots can be rather harsh at times. Look more to historcial pictures and I think you will find attire and looks that resemble that.
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rANCOR hUNTER wrote:
He's not playing Gene Wilder's roll. It's a whole new movie based off the original book where Willy Wonka was a whole lot more insane than Gene Wilder's character in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. And sorry to burst your bubbles but the Oompa Loompas aren't gonna be orange with green hair either.

Psst.... he's no where NEAR the original character in the book.... the movie previews feature more things different than the book than the first movie did... to say it's based loosely off of the book would be a better description.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Rebel_Rouser
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually pretty impressed with this movie. Johnny Depp did very well as Willie Wonka. Tim Burton's movies are normally good anyway (even though most are a little weird)
Who else saw it?

Longest Running Show in Broadway History 1/9/06
Bonez

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it twice and may possibly see it once more. I enjoyed the movie a lot, and also enjoyed Johnny Depp and thought he did an excelent job. I haven't read the book ever (probably should) so i can't compare it to that. Even though the new one and original are quite different i still like both a lot and the small differences in them don't really bother me.
Chen Kenichi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[HALO]Rebel_Rouser wrote:
I was actually pretty impressed with this movie. Johnny Depp did very well as Willie Wonka. Tim Burton's movies are normally good anyway (even though most are a little weird)
Who else saw it?

I saw it.

At first I was very amused by the movie. I wasn't enthralled by the story or acting, but the movie definitely possesses a WTF element that plays to its benefit (like the faces melting). It's obvious that Tim Burton has great skill as a director with a unique style. However, I eventually found myself wishing for the movie to end.

Generally, the music was excellent. I'm very glad they assigned Danny Elfman to the task.

However, they completely dropped the ball with the oompa loompa songs. The oringal songs were short, sweet, catchy, and very memorable. Unfortunately in these "renovated" songs the words are very poorly articulated and almost inaudible alongside the blaring music. The oompa loompa music itself was nothing special and the the songs lasted too long. Utter garbage.

The acting was decent overall. I was disappointed with both of the Salt's though. The original actors completely own their faces off. I also grew tired of Wonka's social ineptitude and quirky, high-pitched voice by the end of the movie. Quite frankly, I think Depp's acting ability was squandered in this movie. Seriously, any weirdo who prefers the company of men could have played Wonka.

Now on to the storyline. The movie did make some significant ties with Dahl's book (such as the story of the oompa loompa), but the focus on Willy Wonka's own family was absolutely unnecessary. Wonka's inability to say "parents" and the flashbacks to his childhood became cumbersome quickly. Additionaly, making things infinitely worse, his dad was played by Count Dooku. The whole extension past where the original movie ends is simply dumb.

The story and dialogue also made references back to the original movie, but they seemed ill-placed and poorly done. For example, originally Willy Wonka tells Mike, "I'm a trifle deaf in this ear, speak a little louder next time." In this movie, Wonka says something like, "You're mumbling, I can't understand you." The original line is sardonic and biting, like Willy Wonka should be ;p. The new one is simply an awkward evasion.

Overall, I give this movie a D. It is saved from being a monumental failure by Danny Elfman, some of the sets (very well designed), and Tim Burton's pizzazz.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[HALO]Rebel_Rouser wrote:
Who else saw it?

I SAW IT!

but you know that already

overall i liked the movie. i havnt seen the original and i havnt read the book.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i prefered the original, as i think it is more of a childs story, although in its own right this remake is an excellent film if some what disappointing at times.
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it and loved it. You can't compare this to the original at all. They're 2 completely different movies. If it was a remake it would have been called Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rANCOR hUNTER wrote:
I saw it and loved it. You can't compare this to the original at all. They're 2 completely different movies. If it was a remake it would have been called Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

Err... they're both based of the same book, so it's fairly easy to compare them to each other. The fact that they're two very different movies is kind of disturbing.

Just because Mr. Tim decided to adopt the proper title from the book (Charlie and the chocolate factory) while the original didn't does not mean that there's suddenly an invisible wall preventing comparison between the two.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Two-Bit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Greatly, greatly revised

I just don't know about this one. I loved the original. The thing is, the original is like the book, it's a morality play. While the remake follows the book more closely in it's events, it's so demented. All of the kids in the original were spoiled by their parents, and their kids wouldn't listen, and were "punished".

Basically the original says "be good," the remake says "woohoo! Chocolate!"

Last edited by Two-Bit on Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: