For the denizens of the Minecraft servers
Ihmhi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

hey0 mod

Post by Ihmhi » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:22 am

What really needs to be done on both servers is to install hey0's mod.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=23340

hey0 is a fully modded server (much like Sourcemod, I suppose) that adds a variety of tools for admins and players. The most important stuff:
  • /sethome and /home commands: Everybody can type /sethome to set a "home" point. At any time they may type /home and be returned to that point.
  • /setspawn and /spawn: Admins can change the spawn to any point by typing /setspawn. All players can return to the spawn point instantly by typing /spawn.
  • /kits: The server operator can designate "kits", i.e. a group of items that can be generated from the server on command. So as an example, a new player could type /newbiekit and recieve one of each Iron tool, an Iron chestplate, and three Cooked Porkchop.
  • /setwarp, /listwarps, and /warp POINT: Admins can /setwarp to designate and name a warp point. Everyone can type /listwarps to see all warps that have been created. All players can type /warp POINT to instantly warp to a point.
  • Whitelist: This is hands-down the best part. A Whitelist works thus. Let's say the names Jim, Bob, and Sam are added to the whitelist. The accounts named Jim, Bob, and Sam can connect to the server. Anyone whose account is not on the whitelist will be refused connection. Admins can /whitelistadd and /whitelistremove players. This gives the most important control to the server admins and keeps them private.
This will pretty much solve any problems with theft or non-invited players from joining.

Also of note, any and all commands can be restricted to groups or entirely removed from the server owner. So if you don't like the idea of teleporting, then the /warp, /home, and /spawn commands can be removed from the playerbase (and even the admin groups, if you so desire).

So yeah, we really need this stuff to make things better as well as easier on the admins. I've used hey0 extensively so if you have any questions go ahead and ask here.

I'll pay 1 Refined for A Distinctive Lack of Hue and 1 Reclaimed for Mann Co. Orange (All outta items for this week~ :< )

My TF2 Backpack

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: hey0 mod

Post by TheCarpe » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:47 am

I don't like the idea of the home commands, to be honest. They were removed for a reason. What's the fun in exploring if you can just pop back home whenever you get full?
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:21 am

All of those things sans whitelist are dumb are essentially break a lot of key aspects of the game (Exploring to find your place, having to create/collect tools and items).

Secondly, it doesn't work with the Beta. Hasn't been updated.
I am the 1%!

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:50 am

And I imagine this mod can be modded to only allow the use of the Whitelist.

Also, Masakari, have you decided to start playing again? Because Minecraft is fun. Not because everybody plays it, just because its fun :)
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Ihmhi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Ihmhi » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:18 am

TheCarpe wrote:I don't like the idea of the home commands, to be honest. They were removed for a reason. What's the fun in exploring if you can just pop back home whenever you get full?
Masakari wrote:All of those things sans whitelist are dumb are essentially break a lot of key aspects of the game (Exploring to find your place, having to create/collect tools and items).
I can understand people not wanting /home. I've been on servers that had it and servers that didn't have it.

The kits make a "new player item zone" obsolete, but that's not terribly important either IMO.
Masakari wrote:Secondly, it doesn't work with the Beta. Hasn't been updated.
A version that works with the beta will be out very soon.
MrBlah wrote:And I imagine this mod can be modded to only allow the use of the Whitelist.
Yes, any commands that the server operator doesn't like for whatever reason can be restricted to groups (admins only) or removed altogether.

The main reason I am advocating its use is for the whitelist and the whitelist only. It's used on damn near every decent Minecraft server because it keeps the random joiners out. Obviously TheVille doesn't want random joiners since they take the effort not to list the IPs on the forums, so this would be a safeguard towards that end.

As for teleporting and the like, as much as I can understand you not wanting a player to have it it would be terribly useful for admins.

I'll pay 1 Refined for A Distinctive Lack of Hue and 1 Reclaimed for Mann Co. Orange (All outta items for this week~ :< )

My TF2 Backpack

Fraulein Arztin
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fraulein Arztin » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:50 am

The only thing that intrigues me is /home.

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:53 am

Ihmhi wrote:As for teleporting and the like, as much as I can understand you not wanting a player to have it it would be terribly useful for admins.
That's actually in the base game already. Ops have access to teleporting players to other players.

I should add too that the main issue with running a modded server is that it takes a bit of time for the mod to update with each base server update, so there is usually large sections of time in which you'd be running the server without a mod anyways.
I am the 1%!

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:49 pm

Yeah, the lag between update of game, and update of mod, is a pain. As others have said, whitelist is the only command I could imagine wanting to add to an SMP game - the others only belong on a creative mode server.

That said, a functioning whitelist would be outstanding. One of the other threads is chatting about that functionality presently, I believe.
-Boss Llama

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:27 pm

Masakari wrote:
Ihmhi wrote:As for teleporting and the like, as much as I can understand you not wanting a player to have it it would be terribly useful for admins.
That's actually in the base game already. Ops have access to teleporting players to other players.

I should add too that the main issue with running a modded server is that it takes a bit of time for the mod to update with each base server update, so there is usually large sections of time in which you'd be running the server without a mod anyways.

I don't see this is a problem Masakari.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:40 pm

I could see the ability to set new spawns as nice, though it should be limited to once per player or something. In a large pop SMP server, it's kind of annoying that folks building further from the original spawn have a long way to walk. It's easy for those that start early in a server and have a home 2 minutes from spawn, those of us with 20 minute walks have it a bit harder.

That said, hmod is updated to beta and has been for a while. From the thread the author seems to be pretty quick on updating and fixing bugs.

It also supports a lot of plugins for things like the LWC chest protection plugin Buzzy mentioned in the thieving thread, anti-grief plugins, etc. Some of these are for folks who want to really mod the game, some are good admining tools and some are crazy:
http://wiki.hey0.net/index.php/Plugins
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Ihmhi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Ihmhi » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:27 pm

With /home each player gets one and only one.

/setspawn allows admins to change the world's one true respawn point to anywhere they like.

FYI there's loads of other commands and options. Private messaging (i.e. "/msg TheCarpe Hello you awesome fish you") is another feature.

Remember, pretty much every one of the features that are command-based can be disabled on an individual basis should you choose to do so. The main perks, really, are the whitelist, the private messaging, and the potential tools for admins.

Yes Minecraft has TP built in, but it doesn't have muting or the loads of other features built in. d:

And yes, there's a lag for updates. Right now it's not quite yet up to date, but it will be soon. However, two things to keep in mind:

1) notch explicitly stated that he will be updating less frequently.

2) notch also stated that he will be making a plugin API so "out of date" problems stop happening eventually. He's specifically doing this for things like hey0 since they're used damn near everywhere.

My TF2 Backpack

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:00 am

with hmod, you can also get things like this:

http://craftbook.sk89q.com/wiki/Main_Page

If you look into what it adds to the game, like a legitimate minecart booster, and added redstone functionality, as well as other really neat things like draw bridges and gates

..... just to name a few.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Marf
Villun
Villun
Minecraft name: MasterMarf

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Marf » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:26 am

I'm on the side saying the whitelist would be nice, but keep all the other commands disabled. Part of the fun of exploring is the trip back. Also, think of all the work that's been put into the sky bridge North. If you just had a warp point up there, the bridge was a waste.

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:33 am

Marf wrote:I'm on the side saying the whitelist would be nice, but keep all the other commands disabled. Part of the fun of exploring is the trip back. Also, think of all the work that's been put into the sky bridge North. If you just had a warp point up there, the bridge was a waste.

Well, not really. I mean, you still have to take it one way. But yeah, /home and reseting spawn are stupid.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Ihmhi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Ihmhi » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:24 am

Okay, so, I'm gonna go through the commands and features that I think TheVille's community would be fine with by and large.

Player Commands

/help - ...
/playerlist, /who - Says who is on the server!
/me - Simple emote. "/me says hi" would output "Ihmhi says hi!"
/msg PLAYER MESSAGE, /m PLAYER MESSAGE - Allows private whispers from one player to another.
/getpos - Displays your current position using a coordinate system.

Admin Commands

Aside from all of the ones listed in the above link (save for /setwarp and probably /setspawn)

/whitelist add ; /whitelist remove - Adds or removes players from the whitelist.
/reservelist add; /reservelist remove - Adds or removes players from the reserve list.[/b]

Features!

Whitelist - If a player's account name is not on the whitelist, they cannot connect to the server. This provides an element of control that frankly does not practically exist; while there is indeed a blacklist (i.e. the ability to ban people), a whitelist is superior. All it takes is for the IP to get out and someone up to do something bad will come around. I've seen it happen over and over, and it will happen here eventually in one form or another.
Reservelist - I know TheVille is fond of raising money via granting reserve slots. This permits said functionality in Minecraft.
Colored Names based on group - Just like the forums, you can single out admins, server ops, donators, etc.
Control of who uses what commands on the group and/or individual level - You can give everyone the /who command, admins the /whitelist commands, and nobody the /setwarp command. You can choose which commands are usable by anyone and which commands are usable by which groups of players on a command by command basis. All it takes is editing a few text files and it's simple as pie.

Downsides

To be fair, I'll list a the few downsides.

Minecraft Updates - This would mess things up a bit, yes. While I've adminned with hey0, I haven't run it from the installation level on any large servers. I imagine you would have to do a fresh server install or something similar, or perhaps it would simply stop working. This will be less of an issue in the future once notch and co. writes up the damned API.

...and that's it, actually.

Any arguments about "I don't like this command or that feature" are 100% irrelevant, because features do not *have* to be used and each and every individual command can be restricted in any number of ways.

notch has stated that he expects to update 1-2 times a month. When an update rolls out, hey0 usually gets a working version of his mod within 24 hours - sometimes less.

So yeah, guys, look at all the stuff you gain and what very little you lose.

My TF2 Backpack