For the denizens of the Minecraft servers
MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Dont do it Notch !!!!!

Post by MateoTheBold! » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:52 pm

Beyond the jokes though, I am actually happy about the Microsoft acquisition. I got bored with Mojang's approach to MC's development after 1.1 and the direction of the game. I am curious to see what a different company will do with the game (or the IP).

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:03 pm

Bronze Fox wrote:
Flash wrote:I guess now is a good time to make backups of the current versions in case M$ screws it up in the future.
Why do we think Microsoft is going to screw up Minecraft?
Who knows, but as a Mac guy my biggest fear is prioritizing updates for Windows and letting other platforms lag behind.

belak
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by belak » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:41 pm

Flash wrote:
Bronze Fox wrote:
Flash wrote:I guess now is a good time to make backups of the current versions in case M$ screws it up in the future.
Why do we think Microsoft is going to screw up Minecraft?
Who knows, but as a Mac guy my biggest fear is prioritizing updates for Windows and letting other platforms lag behind.
I honestly don't think this will be an issue... for multiple reasons.

1. It's a java app under the hood... if they ever stop releasing versions for other platforms, it just means they're lazy since java still runs pretty much everywhere.
2. Microsoft's acquisition of Skype still allowed them to provide good support for other platforms. It still runs on OSX and Linux... as well as Android and iPhone, despite none of those being Microsoft platforms.

Megachirops
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Megachirops » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:31 am

Hmmm.. I'm not sure this is a horrible thing.

Microsoft is capable of making good very video games, they just don't have a good history of marketing or supporting them well.

As for profitability, I doubt Microsoft is looking to make money off of the game itself. I imagine a good chunk of $2 billion can be made up in merchandising and trademarking (have you seen the stuffed toys, the shirts, the legos, etc?), Microsoft just has to maintain the game's popularity. Owning the IP, they can use Minecraft to sell other products (Xbox, maybe even include it in Windows), and maybe incorporate the IP into their other games, like Nintendo does with the Mario/Zelda/Starfox/Kong franchises. Microsoft is essentially purchasing a following of very young people, which explains the high price tag. This is a strategic purchase. Don't suck, Microsoft.

Another possibility, and I shiver at the thought, is the possibility for purchasing DLC, stories, and other additions. Maybe they'll decrease the presence of diamond and sell diamonds in a store for real money. Pay-to-win is in vogue, but I really doubt this game will be used as a cash-cow.

I guess we'll see!

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:03 am

My guess is that they're interested in Minecraft's potential in education - that they can use the game and it's IP as a basis for products/services to parents, schools and universities. The payoff would only be partly in game revenue but more for MS products in general.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

FingerDemon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by FingerDemon » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:28 am

Bungie cord... Good one, Mateo. I guess you could say it is their "Destiny".

I agree that nothing bad has happened, yet and developers deserve to be paid. However, plenty of big companies taking over smaller projects/companies have really left the original fan base hanging. EA take overs have wrecked a couple of games I used to like.

In terms of the future, I think minecraft could really benefit from some further integration. For instance, Stevo, et al, here has kept this server going and it is a great place to play and build and socialize. Judging by some of the servers my son has played on, that is quite rare. If everyone playing minecraft could play on a server with a community like this, minecraft would be even more popular. If MS could leverage that type of experience, it could even grow Minecraft. Think of being able to ask your social network to join you in game for some large project or event. Might be able to create a fun experience for casual gamers as well as hardcore devotees.

Then again, MS has a long history of poorly launching products and then abandoning them when they don't make money like they hoped. Zune, music stores, mice, routers, etc. I really never buy any hardware of theirs anymore, because I have learned not to trust them to be around.

They ought to do a licensing deal with LEGO and make a LEGO version of minecraft with actual bricks from the sets along with basic challenges. But more freeform than the LEGO games currently out there.

I can't blame Notch, though. 2 billion dollars. Wow

FingerDemon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by FingerDemon » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:29 am

Oh God! Pay for diamonds?! It is so simple and diabolical. I'm surprised I didn't think of that.

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:57 pm

Did you catch Conan?

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:29 pm

Plinko wrote:My guess is that they're interested in Minecraft's potential in education - that they can use the game and it's IP as a basis for products/services to parents, schools and universities. The payoff would only be partly in game revenue but more for MS products in general.
Interesting insight.

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:32 pm

John Doe wrote:Did you catch Conan?
Nice.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius