Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Broswer freezing

Post by Plinko » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:40 pm

Backstory: My gaming rig is pretty old. The case and one HDD are a little over 8 years old, I replaced some of the core parts about four years ago and it's time for a new one. I've been saving money for a few months in order to go and buy/build a new one as soon as I can save up enough to get in a good spot for the next few years, but I'm not there yet.

Anyway, the thing is, lately I've had consistent problems with the PC completely freezing up while browsing with Chrome. It happens 3-4 times a night where I have to force the power off and restart it, just reading regular web pages (haven't noticed anything with any type of media or encoding or particular sites). I play games or do work on this thing all the time and have no issues. It's just while surfing.

So, my question is - do I need to accelerate my PC replacement plans? Or is there anything I should do in the short term to stay with the old girl a few more months?
Off the cuff, I am wondering if some of my RAM has gone bad. For now I'm trying to use Firefox again (but it's such a resource hog) to see if it's Chrome specific or something else.

Any ideas?
Last edited by Plinko on Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Broswer freezing

Post by Boss Llama » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:47 pm

While I don't have any solutions there (other than to endorse your use of a different browser for a while to troubleshoot), I did have similar experiences the first time I tried using Chrome. It utterly wrecked my PC on a regular basis, freezing, crashing, corrupting, etc. It has some eccentricities to be sure.
-Boss Llama

The Spanish Inquisition
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by The Spanish Inquisition » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:06 pm

Some people, like myself, had trouble with freezing while browsing and the underlying fix was rolling back the latest Nvidia driver. I'm currently using version 314.22 which is stable.
Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:37 am

Switch browers, mang.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:47 pm

Plinko wrote:Backstory: My gaming rig is pretty old. The case and one HDD are a little over 8 years old, I replaced some of the core parts about four years ago and it's time for a new one. I've been saving money for a few months in order to go and buy/build a new one as soon as I can save up enough to get in a good spot for the next few years, but I'm not there yet.

Anyway, the thing is, lately I've had consistent problems with the PC completely freezing up while browsing with Chrome. It happens 3-4 times a night where I have to force the power off and restart it, just reading regular web pages (haven't noticed anything with any type of media or encoding or particular sites). I play games or do work on this thing all the time and have no issues. It's just while surfing.

So, my question is - do I need to accelerate my PC replacement plans? Or is there anything I should do in the short term to stay with the old girl a few more months?
Off the cuff, I am wondering if some of my RAM has gone bad. For now I'm trying to use Firefox again (but it's such a resource hog) to see if it's Chrome specific or something else.

Any ideas?
there are a lot of possibilites on this one, memtest86.com has a good ram tester you can try (the easiest way to use it is to just test your sticks with it one at a time). i wouldnt rule out something related to a gpu either, or possibly just a corrupt install of chrome (try reinstalling it if you havent already)