A forum for computer hardware and software issues
LadeeeDuke
USV Leadership
USV Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Unable to view links for videos

Post by LadeeeDuke » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:27 pm

Okay, keeping in mind I am not terribly tech saavy and my husband is. . .
Here's the problem
I cannot view links to videos on The Ville and sometimes other websites. I can go directly to Youtube, etc. and see them. But when I look at the page here with the link, all I see is a box with an "x" in the upper left hand corner. In addition, we have our computer set up for multiple users to log in. When I log in under my account, I experience the aforementioned problem. However, when I log in under my husband's user account, I see the videos.

I have tried looking and comparing the settings between the users and cannot see any difference between the two. I have tried updating Internet Explorer for my user and no dice. I've tried using an older or newer version, still a problem. I've noticed the update or repairs to Internet Explorer seem to fail part of the way through. I've tried uninstalling Internet Explorer too.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, have you found a fix?

I am running Windows 7 Professional & 64-bit operating system. I think I currently am running Internet Explorer 8, it won't let me update to 9 for some reason.

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Unable to view links for videos

Post by MateoTheBold! » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:43 pm

One simple solution may be to try installing Firefox or Chrome and using that as your browser. A lot of users prefer those to IE due to safety, speed, customization options, etc.

I haven't used IE recently to compare, but I believe both also use less system resources then IE, so they can be a little easier on your hardware.

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

LadeeeDuke
USV Leadership
USV Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by LadeeeDuke » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:45 pm

I was about to do that. I think I will go with Chrome. I am getting very frustrated with IE. I wonder if it will fix some issuses with facebook that I've been having. I'll have to try it.

LadeeeDuke
USV Leadership
USV Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by LadeeeDuke » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:08 pm

Well, I did it! I went with Chrome and the video links are fine. I think I will be happier now. Things are loading extremely quickly. I hope windows decides to fix IE though. Apparently this is a recurring issue for many IE users. Oh well.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:43 am

What you're describing in IE may be a difference in Flash versions, or in the security setting for that. If Flash on your account isn't updated, or is set to block certain content, it may result in what you're describing.
-Boss Llama

LadeeeDuke
USV Leadership
USV Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by LadeeeDuke » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:36 pm

@ Alizee, I thought that too. But we have updated Flash and checked the setting between the two users and can't find any discrepancies. I just gave up and went to Chrome for now. I don't like that they track your history of use. Someone recommended Firefox. What's the story on that, for those of you that use it. Do you like it?

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:56 pm

Nooooo Alizee. Don't help her fix her problem....we need her on FF or Chrome! :dance:

As far as tracking your history, I believe that only applies if you have a google account of any kind.....youtube,gmail, etc. If you do, you can turn off the tracking via preferences in your google account.

Even if you don't use Chrome, it may be wise to see what google is tracking on you and turning that off per your wishes.

http://googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com/ ... -your.html

As to Chrome vs FF, I have both browsers installed but I prefer Chrome for its speed. I think both are great browsers though, so just use whichever one "feels" better for you.

If you customize your browser a lot though, FF might be the better route. Its base of plugins that modify how the browser behaves is more mature.

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:14 pm

Seriously Mateo, IE9 isn't bad anymore.

I've had to use it for Sharepoint at work, and honestly there are a lot of good things about IE9. People crusading against it at this point in time have a bad set of ideals.
I am the 1%!

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:37 pm

Masakari wrote:Seriously Mateo, IE9 isn't bad anymore.

I've had to use it for Sharepoint at work, and honestly there are a lot of good things about IE9. People crusading against it at this point in time have a bad set of ideals.
Masa! You naughty boy! :naughty:

I have to take exception to your comment that steering someone away from IE at this point makes that person have a "bad set of ideals". I reccomended Chrome or FF to Ladeee for a number of reasons:

-it still isn't as fast as FF or chrome: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369163,00.asp and http://people.mozilla.com/~prouget/ie9/ie9_vs_fx4.html
-it still isn't as safe as FF or chrome: recent pwn2own competition
-it isn't as compatible as FF or chrome: acid3 tests

I would argue that any of the modern browsers are good enough, including IE, and it simply comes down to which browsers "feels better" to the end user.

But in the end, switching fixed her problem, and she is using a browser that has demonstrably better metrics in key areas. I don't think that making a light-hearted joke about her switching back to IE when she is now using something that fixed her problems demonstrate bad ideals on my part.

LadeeeDuke
USV Leadership
USV Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by LadeeeDuke » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:46 pm

I kinda have to agree with Mateo. I am not one that likes change, for the most part, but the change from IE to Chrome has been phenomenal. Mainly the speed at which things load and it seems to have cured sooo many issues with links and interactions with websites that I use alot. I would love to see if I could remedy the problems IE has because I am use to it and I do not require as much specialization as others might to use a browser. Overall, Chrome is pretty cool.