The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Thank you, The Ville, for supporting good values

Post by The Domer » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:33 am

Last night during a seminar we were discussing the role of women throughout the history of psychology. Pretty quickly the conversation switched gears to a more abstract discussion of sexism broadly construed. At one point, someone brought up GamerGate and we briefly discussed how rampant misogyny is in the video game world.

This morning I was reflecting on the conversation we had last night, and thinking about all of the close-mindedness and hateful behavior that I often see online both in video games and on discussion forums. It often appears that the thin veneer of anonymity that the internet provides brings out the worst in people. But that's not what this post is about.

This post is to thank everyone involved with The Ville for striving to maintain a positive environment in which all participants, regardless of their background, have the opportunity to feel respected and valued. I thank our founders for instilling these values back when they created The Ville, I thank each successive generation of Ville leadership for maintaining these values, and I thank all of you for ensuring that these values are carried out every day. I don't think that The Ville is perfect, but I think many might agree that we're doing something right. I'm certainly proud to call myself a Villun.

So, to all those who might read this post, I ask that you briefly reflect on what a great community we have and why we all love The Ville so much.

Keep on keepin' on, Villuns. <3

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Thank you, The Ville, for supporting good values

Post by M's » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:57 am

I must echo your statement as well Domer.
I am very proud to be a part of this place.

kkpyro
USV Leadership
USV Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by kkpyro » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:13 am

Well said, Domer.

For the first three years of my online gaming experience, I didn't speak into the microphone.
*For those of you close to me..you're thinking, "no way!"*
But it's true. It was just such a hassle to be recognized as a woman and deal with the craziness.

Things have improved tremendously, mainly because groups like The Ville exist.

This is a great community, one of acceptance and kindness. Indeed, thanks to the founders for having the vision.
Thank you to the admin that have kept those values going.
And to the members, so many awesome gamers.
I'm proud to be a part of The Ville, as well.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire
The Ville Cup 2012- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Dustbowl loves Warpath 2013-CDi
The Ville Cup 2013- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tater Tots
The Ville Cup 2014- <gTa> Goat Theft Anonymous

Perfect Villain
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Perfect Villain » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:57 am

its my pleasure KK to grace you with my awesome gamer personality,attitude and skill =P

But i love this place and don't know what i would do without it, it has got me through some of the hardest and most unforgiving moments in my life and im proud of my tattoo i recently got to prove even more how much this place and its people mean to me....
Last edited by Perfect Villain on Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks Sparky

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:03 pm

The Ville's attitudes and values are the reason I opt to do 100% of my online PC gaming here. The experience here is one-of-a-kind, and although I don't have much time to join in the games lately, I always enjoy it when I do.

Had I not found the Ville, I would have given up on online gaming altogether after a particularly disturbing round of L4D2 with randoms in 2010, and who knows what would have happened after that? I think the Ville keeping me from giving up on online games - TF2 especially - is a big part of the reason I ended up on the career path I'm on now. Without the Ville, I might not have followed my passions.

Keep being awesome, Villuns! And thanks for being one of the few bright spots in this online gaming world of ours. :)

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:08 pm

It's pretty sad that we can be proud of that, but most of the rest of the gaming world is pretty sick, from what I've seen.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Rumps
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Rumps » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:36 pm

:love: theville

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:32 pm

Our values, our principles, our shared desire for a small part of the internet that is respectful and decent and tries to treat people the same way we would in real life - these are the things that really make us a community, I believe. Proud to be a Villun.
-Boss Llama

dammets89
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by dammets89 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:37 pm

I love you all. *Group hug*
2013 Ville Cup- GOD (Group of Drunks) 2nd Place
2014 Ville Cup- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent 3rd place

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:38 pm

The Ville is a interesting place, we tend to respect each other even if we dont always agree with each other, we tend to be civil with other Villans while we enjoy whatever games were playing or activities that were participating in.

In the beginning we pretty much said at the ville we will avoid topics of controversy, If you wish to talk about topics that will get people upset and lead to arguments and bad feeling we asked that it be taken to other environments where that sort of thing is encouraged. Some said we were their rights to free speech, thats not the case at all, they are free to speak on whatever they like, but in our house, our purple house we have rules and guidelines to respect. Many have moved on because they didnt agree with these things but many have stayed as they find this place a refuge from all the other places out there where talking with a potty mouth is the norm.

Those of us that have stayed here have become great people to know, some of my best friends are from the Ville and I have never ever met them in person, you cant say that about many other places.

Just this week I have been reminded again how much I like the Ville and its members, with the sadness around the announcement of JohnCarterofMars's death last week I have been touched by the messages and responses by Villans, both current and past. Again, this is why this place is special to me, and why all the Villans are special to me too (Except KK, she plays too much Warframe ;-P Just kidding)

Thanks Villans for being the best !

lyn
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by lyn » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:29 pm

I can only echo what KK said about exposing yourself as a lady on games, it's just too much hassle and stress when just trying to play a game that I would rather be a mute than try and better a team.. the sad truth.

I feel so fortunate to have found a great TF2 community that caters to having a clean and fun atmosphere. Every time I join the server, it's the best feeling to be greeted and recognized by the lovely Ville community <3

kkpyro
USV Leadership
USV Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by kkpyro » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:52 pm

(Except KK, she plays too much Warframe ;-P Just kidding)
Hey now! I love you anyway, JD. <3
Even if you hate the sexy space ninjas! ;)

Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire
The Ville Cup 2012- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Dustbowl loves Warpath 2013-CDi
The Ville Cup 2013- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tater Tots
The Ville Cup 2014- <gTa> Goat Theft Anonymous

eumoria
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Blizzard tag: eumoria#1944

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by eumoria » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:06 pm

Very well put, friend. This place is a haven from a lot of what the FPS multiplayer world has become.

Prior to the release of TF2 I played Counter-Strike competitively and I cannot even describe the horrible things I heard on a weekly basis. I did eventually just grow numb to it because I enjoyed the game and enjoyed playing with my friends but it always instantly took me out of the experience open talk during pre-round. It makes me a little sick when people I know who are into consoles as well tell me that the Xbox live community can actually be worse than the old cs16 one.

I think the TF2 community, even outside the purple walls, is a better place to be (even if they don't share the distinct all-comers/all-ages philosophy as theville). Many communities try to curb what is essentially something that most people hate but a vocal minority keep making the center of attention in multiplayer gaming. This is a very good video about the subject as well.

Thank you, TheVille and everyone for being my home for gaming for the past 4-5 years :love:

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:41 pm

Well said Domer! I knew there had to be some reason I respect our misguided Catholic rivals from South Bend. Those silly bear cubs from across LA on the other hand....

Fight On Villuns!
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played