If your post doesn't fit any other boards subject, then post it here
Tungsten
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Sleeeeep

Post by Tungsten » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:53 pm

Hey everyone, it's 1:38 a.m., and, for some reason, I am awake.

Back in middle school, I had a sleep study done, and the doctor found I was slightly narcoleptic. No, I don't fall asleep randomly. It's just that I don't always have that refreshing, re-energized feeling when I wake up in the morning, even if I manage to get the recommended 8 to 10 hours of sleep. Even worse is my college life has turned me into a night person, so now I'm averaging 6 to 7 hours of sleep...

Whenever I try to go to sleep early, I end up waking up about an hour later, unable to go back to sleep (it's why I'm awake right now). I do take naps during the day, because I feel so tired during the day, and I try to keep them an hour max. I am taking medicine, but I'm thinking it's losing its effectiveness.

So, does anyone have any tips for re-adjusting a sleep schedule? I'm almost to the point of trying to "fast for 12-hours" thing...

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:02 am

Here at the Colorado School of Mines it is not uncommon for most everyone to get to sleep late, or get less than 6 hours a night and then take a nap during the day. So... uhhh, you seem like the average college kid to me. :)
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:10 am

I frequently got 6 hours of sleep or less in college for nothing more than personal decisions. even still i get6-8 hours most nights, unless i'm off the next day then i can crash for up to 12 hours. If you are really having problems sleeping, a couple things you might wanna try from past experiences. 1. staying up through a night compeltely till the next day. 2. exercise. 3. drinking a red bull, or some other drink like that around 3-4 p.m. maybe a little earlier untill you figure out. The crash is lovely for sleeping.

sleeping pills have no effect on me unfortunately. I need to get up for work in under 6 hours. Good luck Tungsten!
http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica

Rebel_Rouser
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Re: Sleeeeep

Post by Rebel_Rouser » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:12 am

I work shift work, so I frequently have to make changes to my sleeping pattern. Especially when I work the midnight shift. I see you mentioned that you take naps frequently. It has been my experience that is not a good idea when you are trying to go to bed early or have a nice long sleep. For me it can throw my whole sleep pattern off, especially if I am trying to adjust it to my shift. I would try not taking naps during the day, and develop a normal sleep pattern. Try waking up and falling asleep around the same time. Everyone is different of course, so you have to see what works best for you.
[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs472.snc3/25885_1312467143515_1585764130_753710_5372158_n.jpg[/img]

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dirty Dan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:21 am

I agree with Giz on exercise. It's a different way to get you tired.

Flobee
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flobee » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:29 am

When I want to go to sleep, I hop aboard the Choo Choo Train to Sleepyland. You'll need a valid passport stamped for Sleepyland, but it's worth the expense. The train rides along a rainbow through the clouds and outer space and everything! Pretty neat if you ask me.
where doing this man.
where MAKING THIS HAPEN.

arfy4
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by arfy4 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:49 am

[quote="Flobee";p="234800"]When I want to go to sleep, I hop aboard the Choo Choo Train to Sleepyland. You'll need a valid passport stamped for Sleepyland, but it's worth the expense. The train rides along a rainbow through the clouds and outer space and everything! Pretty neat if you ask me.[/quote] Does the sedative gas they're flooding the train with kick in right after it rides the rainbow?

The Spanish Inquisition
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by The Spanish Inquisition » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:10 am

You can fast for 16hours or more and then when you go to sleep this will reset your body's sleep clock. Try to sleep at the same time everyday after this.
Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Fraulein Arztin
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fraulein Arztin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:23 am

Clean your house! You'll be tired afterward.
Eat turkey, too.
:D
Dan and Giz are right. Exercise gets you realllly tired. :)

Ironwolf
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Ironwolf » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:30 am

I suggest exercising, or finding another way of getting tired when you reach the time at which you would want to go to bed.

Also stay clear of caffeine in the evening.
Commissar Wolf reporting to the front line!

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MasterChef » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:32 am

When I was a cadet in college they tried to make me exercise early in the mornings. I usually fell asleep in class on those days.

Hamese
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Hamese » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:45 am

I always take a long time to fall asleep and when I take a nap that day falling asleep is even worse. I take Tylenol PM on the days I have naps. I do not take it every night and generally it is just Sunday when I take it because of sleeping during the day.

What I have found is that instead of just laying there trying to go to sleep for hours, that the medicine helps reduce that time. I do not notice myself trying to go to sleep as it's more of just a normal night after doping up.

However, first I would try to cut the naps out and just try to maintain your rest to the evenings.

Tungsten
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Tungsten » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:57 am

A lot of you suggested exercise. What kind of exercise? Like...a full routine with aerobic exercise and weights?

bullet4o1
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bullet4o1 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:13 am

Take a shot of Whiskey and you should be sound asleep :)
Intel I7 860 | Intel Board | 8GB DDR3 PC1600 | MSI HD5770 Juniper XT | 32 GB SSD | 4.25 TB's and counting!!

Ironwolf
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Ironwolf » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:29 am

There are no specific exercise you should do, just as long as you tire yourself out. It can be cardio or fitness, just as long as you work hard at it then it should get you exhausted enought to make you sleepy.
Commissar Wolf reporting to the front line!