[Custom Campaigns] Detour Ahead

Join TheVille's best fun-loving zombie experts as they reduce the number of infected!
Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

[Custom Campaigns] Detour Ahead

Post by Plinko » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:38 pm

Well, the new Custom Campaign of the Week is out.
http://www.l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=4257

The new one is Detour Ahead, you can download it here. http://www.l4dmaps.com/details.php?file=4094

I decided to fire it up even though 2 Evil Eyes was not good, I was pleasantly surprised as this one is much, much better than 2 Evil Eyes. The maps are much more believable - not so many cheap shortcuts or random crap strewn about that makes no sense. The author of this one put a lot of careful construction to this one, the events are more creative and fun (the train one is really good and the finale is also not to shabby. I could have seen this as much closer to an official campaign.

One major downside is the author also suffers from the need to throw constant giant hordes at you all the time, I wonder if there's something in the Authoring Tools people aren't sure about and it results in constant streams of common infected or if they just overplace them? The map often puts you on tight rails in an environment that appears wide open and at times it can be hard to find your way. I played on Normal with 3 bots and the AI doesn't handle the narrow maze well, they constantly got hung up behind, stuck behind something or all grouped up in a hallway. Also like 2 Evil Eyes, they have each stage with a different uncommon common, so you have a stage with Mud Men, one with Construction Workers, Infected CEDA agents, Riot Gear for each level - kinds like they felt they have to throw one of each in there.

All in all, I really liked this one. Anyone else played it? Opinions?
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Darklightr
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Re: [Custom Campaigns] Detour Ahead

Post by Darklightr » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:17 pm

Meh, I might go ahead and download it.. If I'm not lazy when I decide to get around to it...
Thanks, Blah! I owe you one!

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:25 am

I just got done playing Normal with 3 bots and it was a ton better than 2 Evil Eyes.

The maps seemed a tad long at times and would definitely be better with human teammates. One reason they feel so long is because of:
Plinko wrote:One major downside is the author also suffers from the need to throw constant giant hordes at you all the time
I finished each map with at least 150 common killed by myself. I even had one of 220+. That's a crapload of common.

While it leads to some tense moments it's distracting when you're trying to explore and truly enjoy the maps. Without fail, every time I sat in one spot for more than 5 seconds, a horde would come.

I think the events were well done and varied. Unfortunately, since there were always 100 commons coming at me all the time, I was unable to finish the finale with my bot brethren.

All in all I think it was really well made. From what I hear it has versus support so we should try it sometime.

Oh, and
VIEW CONTENT:
I tried to take the gnome with me through the finale but we got charged and he ended up in one of the army tents and I couldn't retrieve him. I guess I could have just left him at the chopper. Oh well. Next time.

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:24 am

Vs would be fun, though I could see it being easy to incap a whole team with that many commons around slogging the survivors down all the time, but on the other hand, if you could get through all the way to the end, a vs. match could take nearly two hours!

I definitely would like to do it with others this weekend with enough time to get a full run going.
VIEW CONTENT:
Oh man, there was a gnome? I missed it!
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:04 am

I'd like to try some versus as well. There are some spots that look downright nasty for the SI to take advantage of.
Plinko wrote:
VIEW CONTENT:
Oh man, there was a gnome? I missed it!
VIEW CONTENT:
It was on the second to last level (the train bridge). I couldn't tell if it exhibited the common attraction behavior similar to Last Gnome on Earth or if it was just the never ending waves of common.

Next time, I'm leaving him at the chopper.

Darklightr
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Darklightr » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:24 am

VIEW CONTENT:
The gnome is the best thing ever! :D Too bad you can't kill zombies with a hit...
Thanks, Blah! I owe you one!

Fano
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Snooze

Post by Fano » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:39 pm

I played this one in single player and I could not find the gas during the finale O_o

rest of the campaign was alright, I agree with the insane amount of hordes...I like to play on expert but I don't think I'll be able to do this one for a while >_<

I enjoyed 2 evil eyes as well.