Server mod idea: Infected Character Select

Join TheVille's best fun-loving zombie experts as they reduce the number of infected!
Princess
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by Princess » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:14 am

If it's like OP said, where you only cycle from the next few spawns, I wouldn't call it gamebreaking.

Ironwolf
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Ironwolf » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:12 am

While I would love to get rid of my jocket spot (i cant get anything, ping related I think).

It would be way too gamebreaking. The game is based on your team not always having the perfect make up. It would be way way way too easy to just row up chargers and spitters to keep damaging the survivors at every corner.
Commissar Wolf reporting to the front line!

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:16 am

Since you really can't line up those classes, I am not sure it would be actually gamebreaking.

If they'd make the jockey a little more usable, maybe people wouldn't want to skip it constantly.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:42 am

All he really needs is damage comparable to the smoker.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:56 am

[quote="Plinko";p="220353"]Since you really can't line up those classes, I am not sure it would be actually gamebreaking.

If they'd make the jockey a little more usable, maybe people wouldn't want to skip it constantly.[/quote]

I've had some really good Jockey runs, he is quite useable, he's jst very situational. His usefulness depends very much on what else is happening that the Survivors have to deal with, how coordinated they are in their comms and in sticking together, and the particular map in question (Jockeys are better in the hotel in Dead Center). I had a successful Jockey run yesterday on the Sugar Mill in the Scavenge tournament, I just happened to grab the last guy heading away from the mill area and take him away, his teammates were so concentrated on pouring and dealing with my teammates and a horde that I just wandered him way off till he incapped.

You need to have the right circumstances to have a good Jockey run, problem is those circumstances are rarely ideal when you get one, it seems.

[quote="Guardian";p="220398"]All he really needs is damage comparable to the smoker.[/quote]

I think his DPS is low to facilitate carrying people longer distances. That's much more of a hindrance to the whole team if done well than a simple incap around the corner.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:50 pm

I'd like it if I could make it absolutely not make me tank. Ever.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

ShadyJane
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Server mod idea: Infected Character Select

Post by ShadyJane » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:02 pm

Without having to think about it, the jockey is my least favorite special infected to play as, but that is my personal preference and has no bearing on his utility. As Carpe noted, the biggest reason I really don’t care for the jockey is that his success or failure depends entirely on external factors: when he spawns, what your teammates spawn as, and the effectiveness of the survivors all play vital roles.

With that said I’ve had versus matches where I can make the survivors backtrack half the map. On Dark Carnival 2, I jumped on him right before they got to the slide. Walked him off the roof, through kiddy land, up the hill and back into that warehouse thing before incapping him. I was only able to do that because the rest of the team was boomed and I happen to land my leap right away, but still, that is a dangerous ability.

I may not pick Jockey on any of the Swamp Fever maps, but I will definitely pick him for the 3 story building devoid of railings the survivors have to tackle in Hard Rain 3 and 4. I love walking survivors off ledges. The only thing I like better is landing an epic spit.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:16 pm

Well keep in mind carpe, the jockey may be good in a few niche situations but pretty much every infected has this niche situation. My point is the jockey doesn't have damage comparable to even a smoker (who has the same job) and his situation uses don't make up for this. He kinda reminds of the old smoker before they added, temp tongue immunity and the ability to damage while your dragging someone.

The Charger has the best DPS in the game and yet he STILL has the almighty DEATH CHARGE on ledges and few other situational uses. Why can't the jockey get a small boost in damage, comparable to the smoker. He doesn't have to be a hunter but he needs to do something in those situations where the survivors can shut down the attack after a couple seconds.

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:25 pm

I'd be happy if the Jockey leap was easier to connect, as it is now, it's got worse hit detection than the charge, pounce or tongue AND you get no ability to attack from range like they do.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:31 pm

He's ok to jump once you get used to him, as long as your not jumping after survivor that's running from you.

ShadyJane
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ShadyJane » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:34 pm

[quote="Guardian";p="220419"]The Charger has the best DPS in the game[/quote]

I always thought the hunter was the best DPS. The Charger just has the most damaging secondary attack.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:45 pm

[quote="ShadyJane";p="220426"][quote="Guardian";p="220419"]The Charger has the best DPS in the game[/quote]

I always thought the hunter was the best DPS. The Charger just has the most damaging secondary attack.[/quote]

It's slightly higher for the charger. I think it's actually 10 damage per pound.

prometheus
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by prometheus » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:10 pm

Ok, to be clear, this mod only ever seemed to let me choose between two different classes, and never a class that someone is already alive as. (No, never quad hunters) While it is true that it may allow a team to totally skip out on a given class, that may not always be a boon. Class X may be better than Y "overall" but it depends where the survivors are.

The hunter might be the most damaging, but once he pounces he's stuck there, practically helpless. Same deal with the charger but he can stun people a little easier, move them away, but he's bigger, easier to hit, and if he misses a charge he's incredibly vulnerable. Point being that every class can be pretty devastating in it's own time and place.

[quote="Ironwolf";p="220351"]It would be way too gamebreaking. The game is based on your team not always having the perfect make up.[/quote]
I would argue that this balances the game a little better so that one side on a 4v4 match doesn't get necessarily boned by not having the great fortune that the other side did to get a spitter when gas cans are all down and vulnerable, or a smoker to pull someone off a building.