[WIP] Pitfall

A forum dedicated to chat about maps and the Source SDK for any Mod including tips and tutorials.
DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: [WIP] Pitfall

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:31 am

Woot! Let's play test on 4! 8)
[img]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s68/pootleshooter/kpsdow.gif[/img]

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:36 am

:D

Im on it tonight!

Im about 1 or 2 months away from releasing a beta too!

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:53 pm

About a week ago, after making some tweaks here and there that JD helped me with, I uploaded version b2 to the server. Then, I did a strange thing, I didn't announce that I had uploaded a playable version.

Now, my reason for not saying anything about the map being ready for a play test was, maybe, just maybe, it's too big. I played a few of the customs here at the Ville and it occurred to me that I just don't think the average TF2er is gonna like this map as it's too spread out.

So, for the time being, I started a new map. One that is a lot smaller, er well, hopefully, Pitfall started out small too. It's a beach assault map, the landing craft and 2 levels of the skeleton are mocked up.

And Pitfall, well, I'm not gonna delete it. I occassionally load it up and just walk around in it admiring my handiwork Better to keep it under wraps than have hurt feelings because nobody liked it. Maybe I'll import some of my assets from it over to the Beach. Three months of building, I got a lot of assets.

Big Thank You to JD for spending the time to go over the map with me looking for the occassional glitch and exploit here and there.
Image[/center]

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:15 pm

I was thinking... you could use the existing map, make it a 2 stage cp like dustbowl?

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:36 pm

I just don't know l3. The advancing spawns kept you close to the action. I like the overall concept, it's a Warpath rip-off. Well, maybe rip-off is too strong a term. It follows the warpath style of play.

I was generally happy with the layout of the map. What I wasn't happy with was the difference between using HDR and not using it. With HDR, JD was getting client rendering errors in a couple of spots. Without HDR, I was getting consistent frame rates of 180 to 200.

So, I thought about it. Maybe, I won't say anything about it setting there waiting for a d/l. Maybe I'll recompile without HDR. Maybe, I'll shut down Hammer and go play a game. I opted to go play a game and haven't really done anymore with it for the time being.

If you're interested in downloading the latest version, the link is,

http://www.thevilleregulars.org/web2_ha ... pitfall_b2

If the link doesn't work, I'll go give Stevo a holler and see if he can work his magic and get the thing to d/l.
Image[/center]

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:29 pm

You left off the .bsp in the link (and the ~). :wink:

http://www.thevilleregulars.org/~web2_h ... all_b2.bsp

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:18 pm

[quote="Stevo";p="81297"]You left off the .bsp in the link (and the ~). :wink:

http://www.thevilleregulars.org/~web2_h ... all_b2.bsp[/quote]

I told ya I wasn't safe with that ftp thing. Okay, Thank You Stevo for the..... thousandth time for fixing one of my internet screw ups.

For those of you, with any ideas or suggestions on how to improve this monster, let me know. One thing I do know .............. it would never work as a ctf. Ask JD, he'll tell ya, it's .... big.
Image[/center]

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:50 am

Hammer, PM me the .vmf (or ask Stevo to upload it) let me see what I can do to slavage it. It looked like it was going to be fun. I think you're right, some areas were a little too open (snipe heaven). I think a little collaboration and tweaking we could have a fun map in no time!

HDR is not important. It that's a deal breaker for the fps, then just omit it. As long as the environmental lighting is working (vvis - no leaks) it looks just fine.

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:02 pm

[quote="l3eeron";p="81424"]Hammer, PM me the .vmf (or ask Stevo to upload it) let me see what I can do to slavage it. It looked like it was going to be fun. I think you're right, some areas were a little too open (snipe heaven). I think a little collaboration and tweaking we could have a fun map in no time!

HDR is not important. It that's a deal breaker for the fps, then just omit it. As long as the environmental lighting is working (vvis - no leaks) it looks just fine.[/quote]
Oh Hammer can upload it himself. He just needs to remember the link... :lol:

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:38 am

What is it we always say about Hammer,"Not Safe On The Internet!" I still say my ftp is borked as why I can never find the link after the upload.

Anyways, l3, ya gave me an idea with "Grassy Knoll." That, and JD suggested somewhat of the same. How about, since Pitfall is too darn big, and it is, maybe we break it up into smaller pieces.

The Red side of the base with all the track would be good for a Goldrush type of map whenever they release the code for that sort of thing.

Part of Blue's base I'm going to paste into the Beach. Why, cause I worked darn hard on that lousy pile of polygons and I'm gonna get some use out of it somewhere.

That just leaves the middle of Pitfall, which is the pit itself. Wonder if we could turn that into something fun.
Image[/center]

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:34 pm

[quote="Mad-Hammer";p="81997"]
I worked darn hard on that lousy pile of polygons
[/quote]

:rofl: I like the map Mad Hammer, ill give my official feedback later tonite :P
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson