Ranking and fair play... A suggestion...

A forum dedicated to the Left4DoD Day of Defeat: Source Mod
Forum rules
Join the Left4DoD Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/left4dod
Gen.store
New Villun
New Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Re: Ranking and fair play... A suggestion...

Post by Gen.store » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:19 pm

according to the top 20 ranking, none of them camp with an mg
the only thing mg do is an easy end match score as defender but not much to the ranking.
even when i select the MG, frontliner have more kills than me lol.
what realy matter to the ranking is solo gameplay
i did a test last night alone on avalanche... 40 true caps... about 400 kills with tomi,smoke and nades.
that about 1200 point in 1 map.

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:26 pm

(welcome to the forums Mr Store)

Tseeneth
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Tseeneth » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:49 am

There is a last point I would like to discuss, and to help for a better fair rank during parties...
It is the way some players use the "back cap" flags technique or trick...
When the allies cap a flag, they just let others run for the next one, wait for zombies to try get that flag back, shoot them, and they get one flag accounted as it was a real flag cap...
In a few seconds they can often get like 3 or 4 flags accounted on their flag total score...
Playing this way is just camping to try be at the first place of each party...
Is it possible to count a flag only when you really cap a flag? And no flag accounted when you back cap one this way?
Or should be the killed zombies score put forward as the reference for the first place?
This would definitely solve the problem of camping MG players and others camping to back cap flags who stands at the first place at the end of a party and when others have really ran and sweat to get flags during 30 minutes of each games...

v.o.c
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by v.o.c » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:32 am

Tseeneth wrote:There is a last point I would like to discuss, and to help for a better fair rank during parties...
It is the way some players use the "back cap" flags technique or trick...
When the allies cap a flag, they just let others run for the next one, wait for zombies to try get that flag back, shoot them, and they get one flag accounted as it was a real flag cap...
In a few seconds they can often get like 3 or 4 flags accounted on their flag total score...
Playing this way is just camping to try be at the first place of each party...
Is it possible to count a flag only when you really cap a flag? And no flag accounted when you back cap one this way?
Or should be the killed zombies score put forward as the reference for the first place?
This would definitely solve the problem of camping MG players and others camping to back cap flags who stands at the first place at the end of a party and when others have really ran and sweat to get flags during 30 minutes of each games...
are you referring to when allies capture flag 4, then someone hanging around waiting for the zombies to start to capture it then running in to stop the capture?. if so this is a major part of the game in my opinion especially if its a 2 or 3 man cap. i will regularly hang back near a capped flag to keep it capped or forward advance on to capped flags to do just this. it can be a issue with only a few players on the server if they are needed to cap other flags but thats the only issue i see with it.
Hey you Would'nt you like to be a vicious orange carrot too?

STEAM a Bi Product of tea.

Tseeneth
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Tseeneth » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:53 pm

v.o.c wrote:
are you referring to when allies capture flag 4, then someone hanging around waiting for the zombies to start to capture it then running in to stop the capture?. if so this is a major part of the game in my opinion especially if its a 2 or 3 man cap. i will regularly hang back near a capped flag to keep it capped or forward advance on to capped flags to do just this. it can be a issue with only a few players on the server if they are needed to cap other flags but thats the only issue i see with it.
Well, not only with flag 4 ... Running into a flag to save it or block a zombie capture is indeed part of the game and key to help others to get the other flags..
But when you camp intentionally at a safe distance from flag 3 (for example) instead of moving forward, waiting for zombies to come, then only shoot them to get more accounted flags, that's a different way of playing...

Maybe to add a score for saved flags could be the solution...

Rico[CotC]
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Rico[CotC] » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:40 pm

Tseeneth wrote:
v.o.c wrote:
Well, not only with flag 4 ... Running into a flag to save it or block a zombie capture is indeed part of the game and key to help others to get the other flags..
But when you camp intentionally at a safe distance from flag 3 (for example) instead of moving forward, waiting for zombies to come, then only shoot them to get more accounted flags, that's a different way of playing...

Maybe to add a score for saved flags could be the solution...
This is why I advocate a change in scoring flag defenses. If you defense a flag outside the capture zone (using a gun, for example), you get one point. If you defense a flag by actually occupying the capture zone, you get 20 points. That way, you can't hang back with the MG and rack up flag defense points. Well, you can, but they aren't worth much more than killing a zombie. And folks who like to occupy unpopulated servers and just kill zombies with an MG? Let them have those points. That's the most boring way to score, EVER.

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:33 am

Hmmmm - I like Rico's reasoning.
I'll look at changing the default flag block to 0 pts and then add my own code based on defending the flag by actually touching the capture area.

Aardvark Ratnick
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Aardvark Ratnick » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:47 am

I enjoy the higher points for a flag capture. Is this an incentive to capture the flag more then just shoot zombies? 50 points for a flag caps is real incentive to me but then for me so was 30. How about some sort of reward system for being a good team player. cash or points. Maybe some sort of a reciprocal reward system. I give player x health/ammo and if I get health in return or ammo or money or 5 seconds of invulnerability or something. It would really be nice to see players rewards for saving other players from death. Like shooting a skeleton dancing on persons head or a witch off a machine gunner. Have absolutely no clue how that could be coded but it would be nice to have in place.

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:28 am

Well, for now, I made a couple of minor updates:

-- MGs are back on with low player numbers (can't deny people the chance to be boring)
-- However, you do not get points for blocking caps if you are not actually in the capture area (e.g. sitting up high shooting MG)
-- Flag captures are 50 pts
-- Added Hellspawn to stats
-- If the last player leaves, the map will change to something random instead of Kalt

-- Fixed the bug where the last player would leave and the bots would not re-appear.

Tseeneth
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Tseeneth » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:10 am

Dog wrote:Well, for now, I made a couple of minor updates:

-- MGs are back on with low player numbers (can't deny people the chance to be boring)
-- However, you do not get points for blocking caps if you are not actually in the capture area (e.g. sitting up high shooting MG)
-- Flag captures are 50 pts
-- Added Hellspawn to stats
-- If the last player leaves, the map will change to something random instead of Kalt

-- Fixed the bug where the last player would leave and the bots would not re-appear.
Like always... Great updates Dog!!!
Aardvark has very nice suggestions... About to reward people who help others..
In this path, the drop health function should be activated... (It seems not working.. Or am i wrong?)
So we could give one to infected mates and get something as reward...

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:47 am

Another small update

-- Only players at the flag will now get bonuses on flag capture
-- Flag captures take slightly longer (game tends to end easily)
-- If a player dies and he has a health pack, the health pack will appear as a drop
-- Increased the chances of a health pack dropping

Drop health only works if you have an extra health pack.

Rred
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Rred » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:30 am

Aw defense is just as important as offense. All the glory goes to capping the flags and as usual the players like me who focus on mostly defense get ignored. While a player is on flag 5 killing a boatload of zombies racking up points rapidly (like 400+kills a game) i will be at 1 or 2 getting half as many kills and all I have make up a for that is a little bit of points on flag defense. This especially happens when human zombies are on then I do pure flag defense.
Sure MG can rack up points on flag defense. What about non MG players who run around and defend the flags.
I have camped as mg and racked up points on flag defense. It hasn't put me up in the top ten players. And I can only do it on a select map so I can only do it once in a rotation so I may be top of the list only once per rotation. I may only play like almost a full rotation before I call it quits.

You may of capped 5 by killing 300 zombies and wining the game which may not be easy but me defending 1,2,3,4 is not easy either and I don't have the opportunity to meet as many zombies in the process.

The moment that a flag reaches its quota of players and passes it by one I leave that flag to defend previous ones. I never flaghore I only do what is needed at the time offensively and defensively and I normally never the top player on a sever but secretly kinda make the allies win count increase by giving human zombies a hard time on flag 1,2,3 instead of them taking a free flag.

Rico[CotC]
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Rico[CotC] » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:51 pm

As a player who can do a lot of different things, and play a lot of different ways, I like the new system, AND the point loss for shooting your own guys. I will still shoot the zombies off my guys, but now I just aim better. :)

Playing against human zombies is always more fun for me than gaining points. I LOVE playing against folks who pick the UNG. Then I get to use the sniper rifle as an assault weapon, LOL. I have quit playing zombie myself after chasing a bunch of folks off a server a couple months ago. I don't want Dog to dumb down the zombies any more, and the servers need to stay populated. But the point is simple: if you play for points, the points are there for the taking. I don't play for the points, but could point-whore with the best of them if I wanted to. I've had MANY maps where I am the leading flag capper and zombie killer. But when the human zombies show up, then the real fun starts. :)

Dog has given us a game that we can play in so many ways - be a point whore, or MG camper, or a human zombie hunter or actually BE a human zombie - the variations keep the maps fun. I'd like to see more maps added to the rotation, but the ones we have now are still enough to totally kick @$$. :)

Tseeneth
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Tseeneth » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:35 am

The perfect camper...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =126659958

Do u think it is fair to get 1000 points this way and camp in the top 3?
Then, he dares come here and says :"according to the top 20 ranking, none of them camp with an mg "

:evil:

Gen.store
New Villun
New Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Gen.store » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:05 pm

can you just enjoy the game ? me and some others regular where just camping the bots for the lol "2-3 players on"
we didn't get a damn about the flag. you just act as a police spectacle us just to see if anyone suit your game play style.
and no, its not by camping bots that someone can rank up

why so upset about ranking ?

i dont mean to be rude or anything but remember this is a game.