Ranking and fair play... A suggestion...

A forum dedicated to the Left4DoD Day of Defeat: Source Mod
Forum rules
Join the Left4DoD Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/left4dod
Tseeneth
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Ranking and fair play... A suggestion...

Post by Tseeneth » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:33 am

Hi everyone...

I am playing the Zombies quite a while now... And I could observed a few high ranked derives in using the game...
When it comes to play with an MG... What is the point to play at moments almost nobody is there ( 1 or 2 people), to camp, cap flags and get points to climb easy in the rankings???
Is that really what the game is about?

My suggestion is to keep the possibilty of defending flags with an MG, this is important key of a team winning sometimes...
But that cap flags with an MG shouldn't give 30 points... Something lower enough should be settled to disgust any misuse of the role play & work with that MG...

Be fair guys !!!
Run & fight to get flags !!!
Don't just sit & wait !!!
That's too easy....

:wink:

the creeper
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Ranking and fair play... A suggestion...

Post by the creeper » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:14 am

My pet peeve in the games is CAMPERS!!! Can't stand them. I personally think that anyone who caps a flag should get the 30 points regardless of what gun he is using. But remember that you get 30 points for the initial cap and only 6 points for defending it, and anyone can do that with any gun. Getting a high rank means lots and lots of play time.I am pretty sure i know what peeps you are talking about . I personally don't care about the rank anymore. Unfortunately people think that if you have a high rank that you are the best. That's not it at all. Its because you have put in a lot of play time I am #2 only because i am addicted and play a lot. I would not care if my rank went away. That's not what the game is about. There's really not much you can do about these campers except to ask them to please move up. I used to love to cap out and go zombie side to teach them a lesson when you have asked them to stop camping, but you can't do that anymore... unfortunately there will always be campers.
Creeper

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:56 am

Campers have been part of DoDS since it came out.
In fact, we used to have one regular, here at the Ville, who liked to camp the last flag and knife people in the back as they came past.

The only way to get around this would be to add stats points depedning on how close you were to the Zombie when you killed it. For example, a camper with an MG would get regular points, but someone running around and killing Zs up close, would get bonus points.

But as Creeper says, the longer you hang out at The Ville, the more you realize how unimportant stats are and how much more important are the relationships you build with people. I have some really good friends here, that I have never met in RL. But I trust them implicitly!
People get to know who the good players are by their actions and chat in game.

v.o.c
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by v.o.c » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:36 am

:o we have rankings :shock: :shock: :shock: :P
Hey you Would'nt you like to be a vicious orange carrot too?

STEAM a Bi Product of tea.

Rico[CotC]
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Rico[CotC] » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:32 pm

Dog wrote: But as Creeper says, the longer you hang out at The Ville, the more you realize how unimportant stats are and how much more important are the relationships you build with people. I have some really good friends here, that I have never met in RL. But I trust them implicitly!
People get to know who the good players are by their actions and chat in game.
This is it exactly. The game is fun, the points and money don't matter, and the people are everything.

Playing with Carrot and Mrs. Carrot was probably the most fun I've ever had playing games on-line. I laughed so hard I actually made my diaphragm sore.

We need another L4DOD tourney...

Tseeneth
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Tseeneth » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:08 am

I understand your Teletubbies way of life...
"Everyone is nice and the people are great" ... :D
You all speak about the non importance of points... Well, great !!! Why use it then?
Let's play without any reference to points counted... Let's make it with the purpose only to get the all map but without any points...
Or at least, don't credit the defending flags cap in the flags cap total of each player... That will become less interesting for cheaters to play that way... First , you will teach them a good lesson in life.... And second, for those who play fair, they will be more motivated...
Because when someone with an MG gets 25 flags in 5 minutes and I am there behind fighting hard to get the flag he will cheaty defend, it just sucks!!!!
And I am at a point I don't find it funny anymore... :(

Playing game is also a part of life and education ...
If you let people with wrong behaviours, you don't do your little part of the job...

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:26 am

OK Tseeneth.
I'll have a think about it and see if I can come up with something.

<eVa> + Sarge +
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by <eVa> + Sarge + » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:51 am

I personally don't care about ranking, but, like Tseeneth said, some people do and that should be taken into consideration.

My night is made when Carrot goes to the Zombie side and keeps the Allied team on their toes by capping fast and moving on.
The real fun comes when he comes after me and I pretend to run away totally ascared and zap him at the last second with the Zombie bug zapper of death. :P

The only way to make that more fun, is if we could use the shield like the explosives and set it off from a distance, like a remote device. Place it down or throw it, run away and set the shield off when needed and not have to be in it to be blown up by the Emo or drained by the Wraith. But I digress... :roll:

Back on point...points, no points, friends are what counts. Maybe we can transfer points like money? :)

-Sarge

Rico[CotC]
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Rico[CotC] » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:33 am

Tseeneth wrote:I understand your Teletubbies way of life...
"Everyone is nice and the people are great" ... :D
You all speak about the non importance of points... Well, great !!! Why use it then?
Let's play without any reference to points counted... Let's make it with the purpose only to get the all map but without any points...
Or at least, don't credit the defending flags cap in the flags cap total of each player... That will become less interesting for cheaters to play that way... First , you will teach them a good lesson in life.... And second, for those who play fair, they will be more motivated...
Because when someone with an MG gets 25 flags in 5 minutes and I am there behind fighting hard to get the flag he will cheaty defend, it just sucks!!!!
And I am at a point I don't find it funny anymore... :(

Playing game is also a part of life and education ...
If you let people with wrong behaviours, you don't do your little part of the job...
I guess I don't know what you mean about "cheaters". I've never seen anyone cheat. Well, Sarge, but he's an admin. :) Surely it's not cheating to kill zombies trying to cap a flag - that's part of the game! The zombies don't hesitate killing you when you're trying to cap, right?

This is a ground acquisition game. Defending a flag from capture means that I don't have to recap over and over and over and over. I *prefer* when a relatively vulnerable player (MG is fixed in position and has decreased mobility when deployed) covers a flag from a distance. AND the Witch seeks the MG, so they get killed A LOT if someone isn't covering. And they run out of ammo, so folks have to feed them. That's why I don't play the MG much - it's very hard to play the position well, and unless you have L4DOD veterans who know how to support an MG, you spend a lot of time running from spawn to set up. And when there's a UNG on the map, I'll stand behind the MG every time!

And serious woe to you if there is a human playing on the zombie side. Easy pickin's. Having an MG set up covering the zombie spawn on Kalt is about the hardest thing to do, and requires a team mate to cover if the guy is going to be any good at all.

But here's how I would like the scoring to change: You defend a flag from outside the flag cap zone - 4 points. You defense a cap point from inside the cap zone: 20 points. Because it's worth getting killed by the zombies to defend a flag by stepping into the cap area to reset the clock. It would also encourage folks to keep the flags defended, so that we who like to be out front don't waste the cap effort.

I also don't know anything about teletubbies. But losing sight of what's important about a multiplayer gaming community can lead to disappointment. I play the game because it's fun, and because the people are nice. Everything else is gravy, IMO.

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:36 pm

Rico[CotC] wrote: But here's how I would like the scoring to change: You defend a flag from outside the flag cap zone - 4 points. You defense a cap point from inside the cap zone: 20 points. Because it's worth getting killed by the zombies to defend a flag by stepping into the cap area to reset the clock. It would also encourage folks to keep the flags defended, so that we who like to be out front don't waste the cap effort.
That would work better. And it's do-able.
I have to say that the community that is building up around L4DoD is awesome.

As for Sarge's remote shield...hmmmm. Also do-able but might unbalance things. What if it had a smaller area and was weaker? Like a mini-shield.

the creeper
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by the creeper » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:08 pm

As for Sarge's remote shield...hmmmm. Also do-able but might unbalance things. What if it had a smaller area and was weaker? Like a mini-shield.
Why not have both? You can choose which one you want to buy in the shop or just get is as a drop. Different color maybe? could that be done?
Creeper

v.o.c
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by v.o.c » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:16 pm

Dog wrote: I have to say that the community that is building up around L4DoD is awesome.

just a theory on the remote shield idea, could it not be a grenade, like the molotov but a small shield that last for say 10 seconds or so, or if possible like a shockwave shield that spreads out and gets weaker.

and yes the l4dod community is awesome.
<eVa> + Sarge + wrote: My night is made when Carrot goes to the Zombie side and keeps the Allied team on their toes by capping fast and moving on.
The real fun comes when he comes after me and I pretend to run away totally ascared and zap him at the last second with the Zombie bug zapper of death. :P
-Sarge
or seconds before i spawn on a flag you deployed a shield. :(
Hey you Would'nt you like to be a vicious orange carrot too?

STEAM a Bi Product of tea.

the creeper
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by the creeper » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:30 pm

Or what about an ice grenade that packs a punch like an airstrike but freezes all the zombies in place when it hits? Like a liquid nitrogen tank. Sorry just a random thought. Would be cool though.
Creeper

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:31 pm

voc wrote:could it not be a grenade
That would also work and be easier to implement.
We aren't using the German smoke grenade for anything, are we?
You would also avoid the questions that people pose with TNT, all the time, since it is harder to prime and detonate.
Creeps wrote:Ice grenade
Another good idea. Maybe for the German rifle nade?

At that point, I think we run out of nades!

the creeper
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by the creeper » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:54 pm

Personally, i can't hit the side of a barn with the K98..lol. The Garand is awesome but i think people would get upset if they didn't have their regular rifle nades. So it would force me to practice with it more....I loath it. I do miss the British weapons from old school DoD.
Creeper