Tseeneth
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Re: Left4DoD

Post by Tseeneth » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:05 pm

I appreciate that... Thank you!
With that update you give the opportunity to slower player to have time to join to get a flag where you probably did most of the job...
I mean as long as this game will have points, you can't ignore the fact we play also against each other...
I underdstand you try as hard as you can to force people to work together but that will only work the day points system will be definitely dropped...
Last edited by Tseeneth on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:11 pm

The flag typically will now take 20s to cap (as before) but as more people help out, it gets shorter.

The reason I changed the method of flag capture was because of the need for more people, as Allies won games.
Even with a small number of people on the server, and no-one helping to cap, it was impossible to cap a 2 man flag.
This method ensures that the flag can still be capped regardless of numbers.

Tseeneth
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Tseeneth » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:59 pm

I just had a try...
The fact zombies don't take flags anymore, makes the game too easy...
If you can good kill just camp on a flag and you'll get it by any means.
And if you got killed don't expect to have time to come back on it because other people will have the benfit of it...

I don't get the point flags have now different speeds to be capped?
First one was so slow compares to the third one taken by somene else in about 5 seconds...
Last edited by Tseeneth on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:00 pm

OK. Found a huge bug with flag caps.
Explains why some cap quicker than others.

Will try and work a fix tonight.

Aardvark Ratnick
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Aardvark Ratnick » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:39 pm

Oh good! So you found the bug. I hope it is what I perceive to be a bug with the flags. Various different times to cap different flags. Doesn't matter how many on a flag it still takes the same amount as if it were just one. They never progress beyond a one man cap situation. Although maybe you don't need it? Have to think on that one some more.

It must be a symptom of my day but tonight was rather frustrating for me. I would start playing, joining others or others joining me. We would cap out a time or two and then the others leave. I would be by myself trying to advance with level 3 zombies. (Capped out twice) The zombies would become much more difficult to kill. It takes head shots to kill them quickly. Anything else you were either swamped then killed or you were lucky and managed to pour enough lead into it to kill it. Only to die seconds later when you where over run. No UNG tonight. Even after 2 or 3 cap outs. So what happened to the game difficulty rising and lowering based on the number of players?

Some specials didn't drop their rewards. Most notably the Hellspawn not dropping health at random intervals. Sorry I know random doesn't help at all but it how I perceived it.

Not sure if I like the changes or not. But I do appreciate all the hard work you put into the game, Dog.

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:48 pm

OK.
Reverted all changes to Versus back to before update.
Not working the way I want it.
DoDS doesn't have the capabilities of the functionality required for flags.

Rico[CotC]
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Rico[CotC] » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:26 am

One of the small things I like is that you get more points for killing an UNG. Thanks for that!

Aardvark Ratnick
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Aardvark Ratnick » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:48 pm

Darn, Dog. You put some time and effort into it and are forced to totally throw that away due limitations in source. Must be frustrating. Sorry.

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:42 pm

I've decided not to update Versus any more.
It's 3 years old and people prefer it left alone.
If I were to work on it, the Store would disappear for one thing...lol

I'm going to work on CoOp only.
I have the new database structure in place to get rid of the lag when someone joins.
Converting the SQL to SQLITE3 as we speak...

Rico[CotC]
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Rico[CotC] » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:22 am

Dog wrote:I've decided not to update Versus any more.
It's 3 years old and people prefer it left alone.
If I were to work on it, the Store would disappear for one thing...lol

I'm going to work on CoOp only.
I have the new database structure in place to get rid of the lag when someone joins.
Converting the SQL to SQLITE3 as we speak...
I like that. VS is fun, and I play COOP a little more than than I do VS. I might even be a zombie again someday in VS (but not often - I chase folks from the server, and then you'll weaken the zombies and they won't be fun to play). :)

Aardvark Ratnick
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Aardvark Ratnick » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:16 pm

So, if you where to update VS what would you change besides removing the store and why? And is the change to sql going to apply to VS as well? You discontinuing changing VS alarms me because it sounds much like what the big gaming companies do when they decide to phase out a game.

Have you considered maybe writing the game over from scratch? Not on a different platform but totally from scratch. A huge undertaking I know. And I know that real life would get in the way but if you did you could write it the way you want it to without the limitations of source.

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:31 pm

The SQL change has happened on CoOp and I'm running tests to see if the server if lagging out any more.
If I get time, I may migrate the changes to Vs.

Aardvark Ratnick
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Aardvark Ratnick » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:44 pm

Thank you Dog for the upgrade to IX. Even if you didn't have a hand in it thank you anyway.

I would like to mention some oddities that I have noticed. Not sure what to call the messages that detail out the deaths and points on the bottom left of your screen but they are gone. Messages about people joining and leaving the game periodically disappear and reappear during a map. Also when the messages about who joins is working it never displays the rank and points of the player. The command rank and top 10 have no effect. Type them in the console and you get an error message to the effect of no such command. Try saying them and nothing happens. These peculiarities have no effect on the game play but I thought they were worth mentioning as they were working prior to the upgrade. The server lags very much on the last flag when there is fire from the hellspawn, allies molotov, the grey dude's spawn ability and the wraith health suck beam. It gets worse with more players in the game and the number of players at the last flag. Especially bad maps are Kalt,Argentine and CtF Jagd. With Kalt being by far the worst offender.

Also the awards and sessions stats don't match up through out the stats web pages available. For example one page(sessions) says I played for 1 hour 59 mins while on the award page it says I played for 2 hours and 6 mins (not exact info but the length of time were noticeably different) and the server stats page has still another length of time for play. Just a minor nitpick and not at all important since it doesn't affect game play. But it causes a disturbance in the force, for me at least.

FlamingBadfinger
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by FlamingBadfinger » Thu May 30, 2013 4:35 pm

The zombies are currently super aggressive, and it seems like more powerful as well. Definitely a challenge.
I was thinking about the shields. Sometimes, you have to run beyond the flag and deploy a shield, then run back to the flag. I'm not sure it is even technically possible, but it would be cool to be able to toss a shield like a grenade, or maybe like the TNT, and have it deploy where it lands.

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Thu May 30, 2013 5:32 pm

Nice idea