George
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Plans for Left4DoD v5

Post by George » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:22 pm

Ok, I have played with the changed a couple of nights and I know change is always hard...

I like two things...my M1 and my smokies. To get my M1 I now need to be Rifleman and that is ok. I can then ignore the buy menu which is usually gone before I can find anything I want anyway but if I wanted I would eventually memorize strokes but I can't buy the smoke grenades?

I understand the theory behind it and it sounds like fun but some changes are chasing away the regulars...like loss of ff on IV. People who wanted no ff could go to IX and spray all they want. Now where do we go for the strategic combat? I've seen my friends list start playing CSS, Battlefield and Fallout instead. :x

But we do enjoy most of your changes Dog. One man team? Are you sure you aren't cloning yourself?

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:59 pm

I'm not happy with the menu, myself.

Nice idea but cumbersome.

So I'll work on it tonight and see if I can improve it.

Rico[CotC]
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Rico[CotC] » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:54 pm

Dr. Bob wrote:
v.o.c wrote: a nuke option for emo (im talking a mega boom)
Oh, please no. Sometimes that emo already seems nuclear :lol:
Yes, please - the Emo is already new player-tastic, and making it any more new player-friendly might make Rico a sad panda.

OK, about the money system - I like running around and collecting helmets and stuff, but I think the money would be more of a aim to eliminate camping if you did it like this:

$10 for a flag cap.
$5 for a flag defense.
$20 for each team member for a round win.
Reduce the number of dropped helmets that go "ka-CHING!", and make sure they all are $1 each.

This way, there is a reward for capping, defending and winning. :)

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:33 pm

OK...I'll ponder that one.
The campers don't pick the helmets up anyways :lol:

Changed the menu system again (sorry DOB!)
This is a better system, reminiscent of the old one.
This time, riflemen, assault and support classes can customize their weapons and it will remember them. They can choose a primary, a secondary and a grenade. If there is enough requests, I can save the choices to a cookie so that the server remembers your last weapons.

Sniper, MG and Rockets get to choose only their secondary.

Also, the 8sec menu timeout is gone. You can call it back up again
Menus only work in spawn now.

P. E. Logos
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by P. E. Logos » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:19 am

Glad to see you on the forums, George!
Also, I appreciate all the work you're putting into this--and I'd like to say my personal opinion would be turning FF back on IV sometime soon. :)

Moonshine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Moonshine » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:19 am

I think a super nuke for the EMO is a fun idea! However, the nuke will take time to detonate. For example, when the EMO activates its nuke, it will light itself on fire for 5 seconds before the final kaboom. This gives the allies a fighting chance that they may destroy the EMO before it can cause serious damage. And the effects would be similar to the airstrike, but it will be coming from the zombie side.

v.o.c
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by v.o.c » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:45 am

P. E. Logos wrote:Glad to see you on the forums, George!
Also, I appreciate all the work you're putting into this--and I'd like to say my personal opinion would be turning FF back on IV sometime soon. :)

FF back on would in my opinion be good on 4.
Hey you Would'nt you like to be a vicious orange carrot too?

STEAM a Bi Product of tea.

Si-Lad
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Si-Lad » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:55 am

Thanks dog you have turned me in to a drug addict :(
I cant stop buying pills now :D

I think the shield should to exactly what a shield is supposed to do and stop everything coming through.. skulls and the blast from the emo. Gas hitting the shield would still injure the people inside, thats fine. But skulls should just bounce off it and hopfeully blow the anarchist up.

The new menu is better but like you said a cookie would be great to remember your preferences as by the time you have finished fannying around choosing your weapons the zombies have capped most of the flags and are waiting outside of spawn, especially if your not used to the menu system. lol

Ammo, We need some ammo back dog, its daft. People are running out a lot more now. You can waste a lot of ammo shooting wraith until you lock on to him. Reducing ammo to discourage camping is not fair on the regular players I dont think.

I love zapping them flies ;) :D zzzzzp .... sweet dreams muhahahaha

Si-Lad
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Si-Lad » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:57 am

v.o.c wrote: FF back on would in my opinion be good on 4.
Would people get killed when trying to get in someone else's shield for instance with ff on ?

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:10 am

Enjoy most of the new changes. But the one I personally do not like is the 2 man caps. especially when there is only 3-4 players. I know it encourages team play, but theres always that 1 guy who wants to hang out in the back. And rack up kills.

Si-Lad
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Si-Lad » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:53 am

<eVa>mlite wrote:Enjoy most of the new changes. But the one I personally do not like is the 2 man caps. especially when there is only 3-4 players. I know it encourages team play, but theres always that 1 guy who wants to hang out in the back. And rack up kills.
Indeed, that was frustrating wasn't it :x :o :shock:

Aardvark Ratnick
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Aardvark Ratnick » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:32 am

Geez Dog! Do you ever sleep!?

I play rifle almost exclusively. I would like to see super ammo added to the list of buyouts. It might be there already I just didn't see it.

I agree about shields only I would like to see gas nullified also. The bug zapper only last a few seconds so I don't see it affecting the game play that drastically with gas nullified.

I would like to mention something that I thought had been changed. You can have the shield, TNT and the Radio all at once. Pressing your use key triggers them all at once. It appears that the shield nullifies the effect of an airstrike you launched on yourself. Also the Witch is teleporting multiple times in less then 10 seconds.

On the coop server all flags require two people when the number of allied players equals a set number. Five, I think. If that number is not met all flags are 1 man cap. Or at least this is what I think I have witnessed. I assume that if the other servers are now two man caps the same method would apply.

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:31 am

Turned FF back on TV4 and TV9.
It was off for the Wraith test, to make sure that things were working properly. FF screws stuff up all the time when testing. It distorts the data coming back.
Ammo
Hah! I'll see.
Airstrike/Radio/TNT at once
Hmm double check that one for me. I'm not sure it can. I remember doing it once but that was before I added checks. If it is true, then more checks will have to happen.
Would people get killed when trying to get in someone else's shield for instance with ff on ?
Nope. It only affects Zombies.
The shield is designed to stop Zombies running up to you. But the UNG can get in, if he has enough health. The Wraith, Gasman and Anarchist should all be able to throw stuff into it. I remember, in testing, playing on my own against all the Zombies, being able to cap out using just the Shield. So it is over-powered, in some ways. It's why I made it with green vertical bars. It isn't designed to stop objects, just the Zombies themselves.
Two man caps
I am looking at that one. Why do campers have to ruin everything? You don't camp in L4D so I don't understand why some camp in L4DoD! I guess it might be to do with the weapons.
Aaargh the bots are harder! Gah the xxxxx is less powerful! Dammit! He weakened the xxxxx
When I make changes, I never sneak in changes without listing them.
Occasionally, I may forget to list them, but if I make a change to the system, as game changing as a health reduction, I'll list it.
The bots do not get harder as the game progresses, any more. That was dropped a while ago. People who haven't played since 2010 will notice that change.
The bots use the same routines as before. I tweaked them a couple of updates ago, but nothing startling. The speeds are the same. The attack speeds are the same.

Sometimes, new updates break old stuff. Those are just bugs and not changes to the game; they are not by design. The new menu system may have some adverse effects so I'll be watching it. Hopefully, the bugs will be minimal. The weapons code required a complete rewrite so there may still be unseen bugs.

The good news, is that there will be no major changes for a while.
I will be adding small features to the store menu, but most people won't seem them.
I will work on the cookies tonight.

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:42 am

Dog wrote:
Two man caps
I am looking at that one. Why do campers have to ruin everything? You don't camp in L4D so I don't understand why some camp in L4DoD! I guess it might be to do with the weapons.
Is there not a plugin that will limit weapon class, and flag cap amounts.
I would like to see the mg locked out untill there are at least 6 players on. And then the flag cap req. could be incorporated with that also.
Just wondering?

Rico[CotC]
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Rico[CotC] » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:07 am

Played last night, and checked out the changes.

1.) The new menu system is fine. Well, almost fine. When I select my main weapon, the menu goes away. Sure, you can say "!menu" to get it back, but it would be GREAT to actively dismiss the menu (9. EXIT, fer instance) rather than it going away. That way, I can buy more stuff. :dance:

2.) The new menu system makes life really easy as far as custom loadout goes. I can pick the MP40, M1 Carbine and German grenades as my loadout and play like that forever (or until an Emo kils me), but I'd like to also be able to buy the shovel as a melee weapon so I can give back a little to my zombie "friends". :twisted:

3.) A cookie to save all of that would be super. MP40, M1 carbine, shovel, potato mashers. Buy a box of grenades and a bottle of pills, and go cap and kill. :D

I like the shield and the bug-zapper sound effect is awesome. I also like the fact you can hold both the shield and the airstrike. I haven't figured out yet how to choose between them.