Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Update coming

Post by Dog » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:45 pm

I'm gonna get in a lot of bother for this one...hehe!

The Gas Man has been annoying me for the longest time.
Again it was one of those early decisions that affected the game's development that I wish I'd never done.
At first it was the nice drippy effect on screen that turned some player's screens black and then the orange screen and hard to shoot effect that annoyed just about everyone.
Oh and added to the issues playing as gas Man where the gas only turned on when you were near people.

So because we already had close quarter weapons (the Emo) and the fact that we had no medium distance accurate weapons (the Anarchist is long distance and not accurate), something had to change.

So I have a new weapon for the Gas Man.
It's a Gas Bomb. It explodes where it hits (e.g. a wall or room) and a green gas cloud appears and does 20hp of Acid damage.

I have some tweaking to do to see how it affects game play but it's more along the lines of the Spitter rather than a Boomer, now.

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Update coming

Post by l3eeron » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:02 pm

Ah haaa

very interesting....

looking forward to this one!

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:14 pm

All I gotta say is. IS IT READY FOR PLAY?

spalding
New Villun
New Villun

Games Played

Post by spalding » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:40 am

I've been playing on the IV server for a few weeks now, and I must say that I LOVE the mod... the only thing is when I got on tonight, and had a run in with the "new gas man" there was only one thing on my mind, and it was worth putting in the effort to register on the forums (I would've sooner or later regardless)

http://www.sodahead.com/fun/do-not-want ... og-239059/

that is all >.<

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:48 am

I should explain why the Gas Man was changed.

The longer I play the game as a Zombie, the more frustrated I become at the campers and people who stay in the one spot.
The other night, while playing on Avalanche, I tried many different ways to get to the two guys camped out on the arch and the guy camped on the little roof below the church. Armed with just a spade, it was tough going. I couldn't get the guys on the arch without going all the way down the church and back up through to the arch.
And it highlighted a problem with the Zombies. They have no weapon that can be fired at someone. They have the anarchist with the skulls, but those things bounce all over the place. They might have the grey dude who can zap two zombies on top of the arch but those Zombies fall off right away. And because they have no guns, there is no way to dislodge a camper from a roof.

Hence the gas. It only does 20hp damage, so it's not gonna kill you unless your health is already low, in which case, you should be out shooting Zombies and gathering health kits before camping.

I will review it in a few days and see if the hp could be lowered or raised.
I was using it last night against a bunch of guys on the Donner tank and it took four gas bombs to kill them in 30 seconds. Had I had a gun, they would all have been dead.

It's all about balance and that is why this update was introduced.

snake eyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by snake eyes » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:17 pm

Question, and don't misunderstand me Dog I not complainting; I love playing on all you guys DODL4dead servers alot myself and chillman on almost every night.

Has the damage been set for zombie using shovels or witches only need to hit you one time and your dead ? I was just wondering because last night on one of the servers these zombies were cleaning everyone clocks, We would get hit one time or maybe 2 hits and your health is gone and your dead back in spawn saying to yourself wow! I love playing allieds soldiers alot, but I felt everyone last night wanted to join the zombies, because they had the upper hand.

Also, Dog is there a way so the allieds soldiers can setup up check points (soldier able to assign himself a checkpoint to spawn at upon his death) limited so no abused.
I work as a senior adminstrator on other servers and we set them up on our Half life puzzle servers and I understand DOD and Halflife (Big differents and they are 2 different bulls of OS's) and This may not be possible on DOD source but I thought the plug in may be cool, because lots of time germans zombies would kill off the whole allied crew and by the time we spawn into the game again all flags are taken and lost. because the zombies can spawn in faster and choose locations.

Like I said at first I not trying to pick a fight or complain. Don't misunderstand me.
Thanks
i came to chew bubblegum and kick some Zombie Butt; and I am all out of bubblegum!!

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:48 pm

The checkpoint idea might be fine if player count was less than 4, but any more would change the nature of the game.

And I'll check Zombie damage tonight.
Hasn't changed but I'll check.

snake eyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by snake eyes » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:48 pm

Dog wrote:The checkpoint idea might be fine if player count was less than 4, but any more would change the nature of the game.

And I'll check Zombie damage tonight.
Hasn't changed but I'll check.
Thanks :) Just trying help with ideas and support. The concept of using it players enjoy :)
But about the zombie damage thanks for looking into it. :wink:
i came to chew bubblegum and kick some Zombie Butt; and I am all out of bubblegum!!

D.B.Cooper
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by D.B.Cooper » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:59 pm

Dog wrote:I'm gonna get in a lot of bother for this one...hehe!

So because we already had close quarter weapons (the Emo) and the fact that we had no medium distance accurate weapons (the Anarchist is long distance and not accurate), something had to change.
um I beg to differ, I can be a very good shot with the anarchist :D

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:20 pm

D.B.Cooper wrote:um I beg to differ, I can be a very good shot with the anarchist :D
I can attest to that.

Plas
Server Admin
Server Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plas » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:08 am

Just got done playing some Avalanche and I have to say that I like the new gas man weapon. The gas bombs were effective for long distance harassing of the entrenched allied front line. It does recharge pretty fast so I kinda just kept chucking the bombs onto the encamped until they either moved or were dead from the repeated gassing ( it's extra funny when they complain about it on mic through out the slow gassing to death process ).

I find the Gas Man ends up playing more like the grey dude now, which isn't a bad thing. It'll be interesting to see how others players end up using the new weapon.

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:00 pm

Played some Avalanche today as a zombie. Might I suggest that is if there is a way. To make the Skull nades stickey. Not like Demo sticky, but when they are thrown at someone camping on the Balcany by the church, or on the arch. They stick to the wall. Or not bounce so much or maybe even enable a "cook off timer" say 3-5 sec.
Took forever as the gasman, anarchist, and finally as the Grey dude to kill them.

snake eyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by snake eyes » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:32 pm

LOL,
Here lately I think everyone wants to play the zombie sides, :) :) been noticing alot players spawn camping or somewhere on the map camping I guess they seem to be waiting for opening (on the Zombie Side) just wondering does server kick players if they camp out in spawn or AFK after awhile ?

Here lately Seems no one wants to be on the Allied side anymore :( its like using bbguns against those ugly creatures, and feels like 2 hits you die.

Don't get me wrong (not complainting) I love the challenge killing those ugly creatures.
since everyone wants ugly creatures zombie side :)
Just as well, leaves more of them ugly Zombie
for me to kill :) :) lol