"The Maker is the one who is part of what he makes."

measure
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Get rid of slot reservations!

Post by measure » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:04 pm

I feel like being a regular and already paying my dues to the server, via supporting the ville in the past should make me immune for good.

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:06 pm

One of the main reasons we have them is to provide an incentive, and a way of saying thank you, to the donors who pay for the servers we all play on.

It's annoying getting kicked, but at the very least bronze membership stops that from happening and helps keep the purple place open. I feel your pain though...I went from a silver to nothing for a while and just when it gets going good...thats when you get kicked!

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:09 pm

measure wrote:I feel like being a regular and already paying my dues to the server, via supporting the ville in the past should make me immune for good.
No one likes being kicked, but if everyone is immune for life with one donation then eventually the slots become meaningless. It would also greatly stifle the income The Ville makes. Donations are our only income, and it would make it harder for us to keep the servers afloat.

The cheapest, bare-bones package to keep you from being kicked comes out to $3 a month. Surely that isn't too much to ask for the privilege?
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

measure
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by measure » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:57 am

I know it not too much to ask to support the servers, I was mostly frustrated since I got kicked twice in a row this evening. I have payed the $25 for three months a couple of times and I used the slot reserve privilege just once. I mostly had it to make sure I wouldn't get kicked. It would just be nice to have them kick the people that aren't doing anything for either of the teams. Like the engi that sits at spawn and plays with his tool... If only there was a way to let the game continue to flow without kicking the people that are either regulars or by kicking the people that waste the space on the server.

Sorry for spouting my rant.

OmgOhnoes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by OmgOhnoes » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Basically what Carpe said.

"Worth" of a player on a team is subjective so asking a script to determine that is a little much.

If you don't like being kicked then the 10c a day is more than worth it for kick immunity and instant connection.

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:38 pm

OmgOhnoes wrote:Basically what Carpe said.

"Worth" of a player on a team is subjective so asking a script to determine that is a little much.

If you don't like being kicked then the 10c a day is more than worth it for kick immunity and instant connection.

this man has seen a lot of feed the children ads
http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica

cam
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by cam » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:40 pm

dammit, i was about to post the same thing gizanked.

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:45 pm

measure wrote:I know it not too much to ask to support the servers, I was mostly frustrated since I got kicked twice in a row this evening. I have payed the $25 for three months a couple of times and I used the slot reserve privilege just once. I mostly had it to make sure I wouldn't get kicked. It would just be nice to have them kick the people that aren't doing anything for either of the teams. Like the engi that sits at spawn and plays with his tool... If only there was a way to let the game continue to flow without kicking the people that are either regulars or by kicking the people that waste the space on the server.

Sorry for spouting my rant.
Using the web reserved slots, it will kick the player who joined most recently. If people use the connect, it's random. Unfortuantely, some people still use the connect version, so that does lead to a ton of frustration.
I am the 1%!

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:00 pm

Honestly Mas, I used to use the web connect here on the site, but had so many problems with it being unable to connect me when the server was full, that I just went to using the console to do it.

Supporting the VIlle and not having to worry about slots or waiting to play are a couple of the easy reasons to become a supporter.
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

Earthworm James
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Earthworm James » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:36 pm

Could a script identify someones ratio of points earned to time played? That would create an order to removal that has it's own positive and negative sides.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:04 pm

Earthworm James wrote:Could a script identify someones ratio of points earned to time played? That would create an order to removal that has it's own positive and negative sides.
Could it be done? Possibly. Easily? Probably not. Dog is a busy man :lol:
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:22 pm

For every 15 seconds you spend not moving you earn one kick-point and the player with the most kick-points accumulated when someone tries to connect gets kicked?

also, I too have issues with the web connect interface -- it takes too long to "clear a slot". I always "console connect"

cam
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by cam » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:56 pm

When I was a donor I always felt like a douche using my slot and forcing someone out because I knew what the person felt like. Is there some sort of etiquette regarding this?

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:03 pm

I am a mummy wrote:When I was a donor I always felt like a douche using my slot and forcing someone out because I knew what the person felt like. Is there some sort of etiquette regarding this?
The general etiquette is that you are paying for a privilege, so feel free to use it. If you want to donate to The Ville, but you feel awkward kicking random players, you don't have to use the reserved slot system.