BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Doing a 12 hour stream of Banished!

Post by BigBiker05 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:39 am

Hey guys, I will be doing a 12 hour stream of the new city builder game Banished from noon to midnight PST. If you like city builders and haven't checked this game out, do it. For being created by one guy it is extremely good and only like $20.

twitch.tv/bigbiker05

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Doing a 12 hour stream of Banished!

Post by Boss Llama » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:33 am

Excellent. I saw this listed when it popped up for sale this week, and was intrigued. Any reviews in advance of it? Seems to be doing pretty well on Metacritic, and I'm definitely the sort of person who likes a complex infrastructure-based city-for-the-sake-of-city building game without barbarians or quest goals.
-Boss Llama

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:14 am

I might have to watch some of your stream, I'm intrigued by this game.

Perfect Villain
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Perfect Villain » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:22 pm

I havent heard much on this one yet besides words passed around
Thanks Sparky

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:28 am

I got this the other day and enjoyed the tutorial stage. It seemed a bit heavy on the gay jokes though nothing that struck me as offensive.

By the end of the tutorial stage I had realized that bad guys attack the weakest member of your group first so I'd have peasants with my guardsmen, knight, and monks. Really cut down on my training costs.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:33 pm

metacide wrote:I got this the other day and enjoyed the tutorial stage. It seemed a bit heavy on the gay jokes though nothing that struck me as offensive.

By the end of the tutorial stage I had realized that bad guys attack the weakest member of your group first so I'd have peasants with my guardsmen, knight, and monks. Really cut down on my training costs.
I think you're talking about a different game Meta? Banished doesn't have bad guys, knights, monks, guardsmen, or inappropriate jokes. Just straight-forward city building and logistical management with no interruptions.
-Boss Llama

NerevarineKing
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by NerevarineKing » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:56 pm

This game is fun, but brutal at times. I had a good town going, then a tornado came and killed 1/2 of the population and destroyed all of the food.
Warpath Cup '12- [ICU] Inner Children Unleashed (Champions!)
Villympics '12- [USAHB] USA Handbrake
The Ville Cup '12- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Warpath Loves Dustbowl '13- \SOBAD/
The Ville Cup '14- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent

Kilgore Trout
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Kilgore Trout » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:18 pm

So this game is probably the greatest thing ever. I had a 400+ population town until I made the mistake of letting nomads in, who ate my all my food reserves. 200 people starved that winter.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:19 am

I haven't taken my town above around 120 yet (I do super slow expansion), but the only starvation I had was utterly bizarre. With piles of food in the barn, I had half a dozen people who lived next to the market and a couple steps from that barn starve. I had to disable the market for people to go get food from the barn, as the market traders refused to pick up anything but tools and coats, and with the market in place the citizens wouldn't do it themselves. I'm running now without a market at all, and things are working quite well :-P
-Boss Llama

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:08 am

So how is everyone liking this game? I haven't been able to play since last Friday. Been extremely busy at work 12+ hour days then took off to the desert for 3 1/2 days. Anyways, will be able to game and get other stuff done (taxes) soon.

Also, I think I heard this game passes up many games including dayz on steam? Once again, I only get to internet while pooping lately.

NerevarineKing
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by NerevarineKing » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:15 am

My expansion was already extremely slow, but the tornado set me back almost 10 years. I have a small, but sustainable town of 30-40 going right now. I love this game. It can can be brutal, but it's so satisfying getting over rough patches.
Warpath Cup '12- [ICU] Inner Children Unleashed (Champions!)
Villympics '12- [USAHB] USA Handbrake
The Ville Cup '12- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Warpath Loves Dustbowl '13- \SOBAD/
The Ville Cup '14- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:30 am

How is the depth? I was worried that it might not have a lot of replayability.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:34 pm

The Domer wrote:How is the depth? I was worried that it might not have a lot of replayability.
Quite the contrary, the game has infinite replayability. Every map is different and has different challenges. Add disasters, bad climatological phases, accidental deaths, and trade-good availability, and even playing the exact same seed could result in very different experiences.

The biggest question for whether or not you'll enjoy it is what motivates you. This game does not have quests or objectives. You can not "win" by fulfilling some preset condition. There are no barbarians to defend against, nor can you make soldiers to go conquer new lands. The objective is to survive. Victory is what you call it when you make it through each new winter. The enemies are starvation, cold, disease, and a greying population. This is a pure city builder set in a pre-industrial approximately European setting. Careful nurturing of limited resources, wise use of available land, and planning each step before taking it are the way to go. Maintaining an effective cycle of crop-rotation and avoiding overfishing or overhunting are critical. If you aren't planning for the next winter when spring arrives, you're too late, because when it's winter you need to be able to ride it out without thinking, so you can set yourself up for the coming year.

The developer has said that one of his first projects now is to provide mod support for the game, so you can be sure that a "campaign mode" mod with objectives and such will come along soon enough, but for now it's a sandbox. If you liked the Caesar games in Sandbox mode, you'll like this.
-Boss Llama

Plas
Server Admin
Server Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plas » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:08 pm

Nice to see you got your webcam biker, looks good. Game looks interesting. Probably something I'll pick up during a future steam sale.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:11 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:The biggest question for whether or not you'll enjoy it is what motivates you. This game does not have quests or objectives. You can not "win" by fulfilling some preset condition. There are no barbarians to defend against, nor can you make soldiers to go conquer new lands. The objective is to survive. Victory is what you call it when you make it through each new winter. The enemies are starvation, cold, disease, and a greying population. This is a pure city builder set in a pre-industrial approximately European setting. Careful nurturing of limited resources, wise use of available land, and planning each step before taking it are the way to go. Maintaining an effective cycle of crop-rotation and avoiding overfishing or overhunting are critical. If you aren't planning for the next winter when spring arrives, you're too late, because when it's winter you need to be able to ride it out without thinking, so you can set yourself up for the coming year.
Very poetic description of the game and nails it right on the head.

Challenge yourself, learn new city building tactics. Do you want a core town with workers traveling, or do you want workers living near their workplace. Tons of simple decisions like that will affect your town.