A place to discuss other games such as World of Warcraft, BF2 or Red Orchestra
bigcaulk
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth

Post by bigcaulk » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:03 pm

I was pretty underwhelmed with BE. It's just too much like Civ 5 and it just feels like a mod. BTW I'm always up for a multiplayer game of Civ 5 if anyone is up for it.
Hook 'em!

belak
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by belak » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:27 pm

I like the tech tree... and how it's more of a web... and I like some of the decisions they force you to make, but overall, it feels like a less polished version of Civ 5 with a skin on top. There are quite a few interface quirks, missing buttons, missing useful things that appear to have been removed.

It's a neat game, but wait for a sale. Civ 5 is better in most ways... maybe there will be patches to change that, but I haven't been too impressed with what I've seen so far.

EDIT: Still a good 4x game, but missing some of the polish that would make it great.

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:22 pm

I think its every bit as good as Civ5 was when Civ5 first came out. Don't forget, Civ5 has had 5 years of patches and expansions. I've gotten a pretty fair bit of enjoyment out of Civ:BE and I am anticipating having many many many more hours of enjoyment to come. It will probably never be as fun as a "true" civ experience, because it doesn't have the same sense of recreating history. But the sense of novelty from exploring the unknown is special in its own way too.

belak
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by belak » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:41 am

The Domer wrote:I think its every bit as good as Civ5 was when Civ5 first came out.
That's fair. I just don't feel that at this moment it's worth the full price tag. I'm still looking forward to playing it more... and I am still looking forward to see where they take it.

Plas
Server Admin
Server Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plas » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:57 pm

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/firaxi ... 0-6424728/
2K also teases that Beyond Earth and Starships will feature cross-connectivity for people who own both games. The developer isn't talking specifics, but says that this integration will "enhance and expand upon both game experiences."

NerevarineKing
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by NerevarineKing » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:15 pm

That was fast
Warpath Cup '12- [ICU] Inner Children Unleashed (Champions!)
Villympics '12- [USAHB] USA Handbrake
The Ville Cup '12- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Warpath Loves Dustbowl '13- \SOBAD/
The Ville Cup '14- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent

Man In A Mask
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Man In A Mask » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:05 pm

Crap I have yet to play BE, Bought it during the sales and just havent installed it yet. Guess ill try it a bunch this week. If anyone wants to play a game let me know. Or a game of any civ really. Ive liked most of them

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:10 pm

BE has some interesting ways that differ from Civ V. Rather than counting on the Civs themselves to provide different play styles, BE plays differently each time with quest choices (providing variability for buildings), the virtues, the affinities and even the choices for how you will start the game. The tech web is something I'm still figuring out. I don't always know where things are that I want, and the AI can beat me to some victories simply because I didn't know where to go to find the starting point. Have to say I do like that units upgrade on their own without me paying to keep them.

I am enjoying the game (my son plays it more than I do!) and it does take some getting used to.
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

Man In A Mask
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Man In A Mask » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:32 am

So i just played my first game, I dont understand the complaints that it should have been a civ 5 dlc. It is a completely different game (if you look at any civ when it first comes out and compare it to the previous one) I couldnt just pick this up and play like a pro.

That tech web is likely going to be the bane of my playing, now I will have to know every tech like the back of my hand if i am trying to pay attention to wonders being built. Once I get the hang of it I may enjoy it but for now it is just far more confusing.

I will really need to pay attention if i want to play a military game, im used to not worrying about military until later in the game as i can just unlock a good unit. Now however they level with your affinity, which I neglected, which meant by the time someone came to attack my highly prosperous land my combat strength was a good 20 points under them. Which for those of you who don't know means I don't stand a chance.

Every game I will keep learning more but I will say it doesnt quite seem like civ, it plays the same, but there are far more variables now. You dont just have set ways that are best to play every nation. If that is for better or worse I cant tell yet.

But give me a week to figure more out and I will gladly have a game with anyone

jettah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jettah » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:04 pm

Worth the full price? Or wait till on sale. Whats the general consensus?

Man In A Mask
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Man In A Mask » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:01 pm

How big of a civ fan are you? I got it on sale during the last sale. I would say if you are just playing by yourself wait, but if you have friends who have it then get it now

jettah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jettah » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:28 pm

I liked civ 5, but never played it with anyone other than myself.
I will hold off till its on sale again. Thanks!!